Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hangin' with Jack

I spent last week in Marshalltown, IA. I do admit driving by corn field after corn field doesn't excite me, but once I am in Marshalltown it isn't so bad. First of all I was able to spend the week with Steve, Amy, and Jack. I spent the days with Jack learning some new basketball skills, how to play guitar, more basketball, hiding in the tent, basketball, cooking, basketball, playing in the snow- you get it more basketball. If Jack's unhappy all you need to do is ask him to play basketball and all is fine.


The proof is in the hoop!





When Jack did get tired of playing, he would climb onto the bench near the hoop and say, "Christie's turn." I would say, "let's play together." "No Jack watch." And being the people pleaser than I am (well that may not really be the reason, but...) I would play for a bit- shooting hoops on the 3 1/2 foot hoop- really caring about making it, while Jack sat and watched me.

I did however forget to teach Jack a few things- and should have been fired. I was meeting with my friend Karen at McDonalds so Jack could run around in the playland for a bit. Karen watches Jack often and is like his second mother, so all of this should have made for a great time, until we heard Jack crying up in the top of the Playland. First we had to look at each other and ask, "Is that Jack?" Great sitters, then we start calling him to come down when he really starts crying- "alright Jack for you I will climb up into this thing," I had just told myself when this dad already starts up the tube saying, "That's probably my son too, I'll get them." So Karen and I wait at the bottom just in time to see Jack and the little boy trip at the end and tumble out together. Jack has a couple scratches on his face and marks on the back of his neck. The kid (who is about 3) had Jack in a headlock and was putting some moves on him Jack hasn't learned yet. The dad was great- had his son apologize and took him right home. Jack was pretty much done for the day, but he did rebound well. Good thing Dad took him to a wrestling meet a couple days later to teach him the things I did not. Pay attention Jack for the next time you get into a brawl at McD's.One of the best days was Thursday when Amy took a half day and we went to lunch and shopping for the rest of the day. It was a much needed time for the two of us. I have missed her dearly and love that once we are together again it is like no time has past. I'm sure Steve is thankful we didn't get ourselves into a craft project this time.

Being involved in Jonathan House has also given me some friendships with a few others around Marshalltown, most of them I met at different times while in Salone. I love coming into town knowing I have dinner with this family, lunch with another friend, and coffee with the next. These people have come to mean a lot to me and it's always nice to be with people who understand all the little things that happen over in Africa. Of course i was able to meet with Roger and Karen (each a couple times) and things are moving forward in order for me to head back to Salone. I will fill you in on that soon.

For now I am back in the freezing Northland where I finally had to break down and take my Grandma Syvilla's advice and wear a few extra layers. Now of course Grandma suggested cuddle-duds (not sure how you really spell it) which I do know are great, but for now I just wear an extra pair of pants underneath and at least 3 shirts. I am sure I'll come around and get used to the weather just in time to leave again.

2 comments:

April said...

Your trip to IA looks like so much fun! Jack was so lucky to have you for a WHOLE WEEK! Too bad about the McD incident-- :(

Looking forward to getting together with you SOON! I miss you!

Thompson's said...

Sounds like a good time in Iowa. The McD's story was hilarious...and I would assume Steve and Amy laughed about it, too.