Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It's me again

Wow when it is so long between posts it is hard to be able to put all I want to say down in the time I have so I will just update you on my family's visit breifly and then have each of them sit down and put a post of their own on here for you to read.

First let me greet you all and say thanks again for your continued support and prayers. Especially in this time with no internet in Bo (it has been a bit busy but soon we will get the internet my mom has talked about so that I can have it at JH) it is a bit hard to feel connected to the rest of the world and yet to know that each of you are thinking of us and praying for us- I do feel it and have come to rely on it quite a bit.

It was so great to head to the airport May 28th and eventually see my family walk through the door. As soon as we were together it felt as though we had never been apart. Within no time they were right in the swing of things handing out with the kids, getting work done, walking around town... just a part of the team. The first few days we spent at the home getting to know everyone and just seeing the place. It was a good thing as it turns out the for most of the week we were farm hands, helping with dad's project at the farm. I am sure he will be able to tell you a lot about it and my mom has mentioned a few things already, but it was going back in time and working hard to accomplish what a machine could do in no time and yet we were able to get to know so many kids who came to help out as well as the people who work at the farm. We talked and laughed, worked and sweated, drank lots of water and finally taught my dad one Mende phrase- Thank God for the wind. Each time a breeze came he would stop and say this phrase- which I have no clue how to spell so I will just leave it out.

We were able to make a few trips to town and the girls and I headed to the Market to buy some fabric and a few other things while in Bo. It was a fun experience to show them how I do my shopping now. Just a little different than the MOA but not too much. Smile. I have come to really love the market, though it does have an interesting smell at times, the atmosphere is quite fun. Aunty Mary decided to come with us and I know that she has come to love Kari and Amy and Dad as well so being able to spend the day with us girls was a treat for her- but mostly for us.

As we walked around town we were talking about African dresses and how Kari and Amy could try on some of Auntie Mary's and then we could take pictures. Our last night at JH we had a little party in Auntie Mary's room and after taking pictures and dancing, Auntie Mary proceeded to give Kari and Amy the outfits they were wearing. Later she came into my room and lay on my bed- she was so happy to give them something and said that last time when I came she had money to buy a shirt for me but this time she didn't have the money to get them something so she had to give them something of her own and she wondered if that was okay. I told her it was better than okay- I know each time the girls look at those clothes, Auntie Mary will be in their minds and hearts and the fact that she wore those clothes... It means a lot more. I will say she is happy to have me back after everyone leaves as she has mentioned a few times that she hardly sees me and sharing me is not always easy.

Though it was hard to say goodbye to the kids and cut our time at Jonathan House short it was great to head to Banana Island with Pastor Ibriham for a couple days befor the Shermer's headed home. For most of this trip Jordyn Boland has been the fourth Shermer sister. We all love her and were so glad that she was able to come with us for this much needed vacation. We headed towards Freetown but cut off in Waterloo to head to the ocean. We took a boat from Kent and made it to Banana Island ealry Saturday morning. It was beautiful and of course the first thing we did was head to the beach for some swimming. I know Pastor Ibriham thinks I could live in the water after all the time I spent there the last few days and he is probably right- but I needed it. We were able to spend time walking around the Island and learning a lot about the history this island carries. My family will have to post pictures and tell the story with them sometime soon. The slave trade history is abundant here and though some things were hard to see it is something I think we needed to see.

The staff at the Banana Island guest house were great as well. There was only one other group of 5 there and then just us and the villagers. It was quite and peaceful and we were able get to know some of them quite well- I'll let Kari tell you about one who became quite close to our hearts.

Last night Joe, Pastor Ibriham and I brought everyone to Freetown and headed to the Big Market to get some treasures before heading home- I guess I have been here long enough to do some good bargaining on my own. It was fun to see Joe's face after I made a great deal and to hear how proud he was of me. Everyone keeps telling me I am no longer Pumoi I am becoming a Mendemoi- at times they even say I am becoming Nulele (black) as my skin is getting a bit darker and not everyone is Mende here it is only one of the tribes and I was able to negotiate with others as well so....

After the market it was time to catch the ferry to head to Lungi- where the airport is. We met up with some friends who are involved in another ministry in Bo. They were headed to the airport to pick up some guests and were willing to take us in their NICE van and for free. It was great. They even took the three of us staying back to our guest house in Freetown after we left the airport and are going to pick us up this morning to ride to BO with them. This is huge as if we had taken public transport we would have had to be at the bus park at 3am to get tickets- wait until 6am to leave and maybe not even get to Bo until 1 or 2 pm and NOT have comfortable seats. God is good and provides in every situation- as now I am able to spend a little time here at the internet before leaving. Anyway back to the family leaving. We had to leave them at the airport as we cannot go in here either. It was a bit difficult to say good bye but so great to have been able to share all of this with them. The big joke between everyone is who's prayers are going to be stronger now- the people here praying that I will stay here or the prayers of my family and friends that I will come home. I know Amers prayers are going to be more frequent and much more passionate. It is great to feel the love from all and even greater to know that I am whre God wants me know and I know he'll show me where he wants me later as well. To be in the path he has placed me, working with the people he has chosen, and using all the gifts he has given me- there is no greater feeling here on earth. I am blessed and I am blessed through each of you. Now it is time to go. There is so much more to say but I am hoping the pictures and posts my family is able to share with you will give you a better idea of all that is happening here.

Thank you once again- Lots of love and I miss you all- I really do.

No comments: