Sunday, June 22, 2008

Notes from Kari on Trip

Hey all-

I was talking with Amy and she asked me when I was going to put a post on my account of our trip. Like her, I feel there is so much to write about. So I will also try to paraphrase and hit key points!

I feel immensely blessed that God brought me to Africa! I know there are many reasons he brought me there... but a few things I feel he really laid on my heart are Education and Economic needs of the country! Did you know that most people are not able to enter a college/university until late 20's or early 30's?!? This is due to the fact that there are no Loan programs there like there is here! So most individuals have to work for years to earn the money to go to school. Some are fortunate enough to have parents that help. (but even they aren't able to attend college before late 20's). I also noticed, while we were touring the university, that they do not have much in regards to books! Here in America Professors switch their books/ curriculum every 2-4 yrs(roughly), while there they are lucky to have a few of the same books to teach with and learn from! Oh the things we are fortunate to have! There are a few things I think I could (with the help of others) bring to benefit Africa in this area. For Starters, I wonder what the universities here do with all the books that are no longer being used in the curriculum?!? (anyone know? e-mail me or comment kari.shermer@gmail.com) I want to find a way that we could possibly ship books to Africa. I have a few ideas... but if anyone wants to help me I'm always looking for more ideas! 2nd idea... What if we could start a Loan program to help their economy? Did you know that 1 in 20 women still die during child birth?!? What if we could help students going into the medical field with loans so they could go sooner?!? When they graduate they could have a grace period to find a job and start working. However, when they pay back the loan, that money would then be loaned out to another student to fund their loans! (Eventually they would be taking care of each other and not need us!!) Same thing with individuals persuing other careers. Once again... if you feel GOD has put these issues on your heart send me a letter or comment! I can use all the help to follow through on these visions!

Most of you know that Amy and Christie are Phenominal with children! I do enjoy kids but have been baffled at how to entertain them after a few hours! (being honest!) However, this trip made me truly cherish children! I couldn't understand exactly why I woke up Wednesday morning kinda sad. It was the first morning I woke up without the children singing and praising GOD! These Lovely children GOD created stole my heart while I was there. Even though I may still not know how to entertain children for hours on end... I do know how to Love them unconditionally and enjoy every one of them for their individual personalities! (Just to re-emphasize how great my sisters are with kids. When we got there Jessica, one of the babies, was afraid of all of us pomois. Within a Day she was sleeping on AMY!!! what a gift she has) Christie... I truly admire everything you are doing at the Orphanage and in Sierra Leone! I know that GOD has an amazing plan for your life and the effect you can have on this country!!

I feel blessed that we were able to help build the fence, paint the church, paint a bit around the orphanage, and spend time with the kids! The end of our trip was a Blessing too! When we went to Banana Island we learned Tons!! But the last 24 hours really touched my Heart. Amy explained the last night, when both Ibrahim's were talking about the war. The next morning Ibrahim, our guide, sat with us after breakfast. Pastor Ibrahim told him how GOD is the only one who can take away that pain and hurt from the War/ Experiences. After talking for a while Pastor Ibrahim gave him HIS OWN Bible! What an amazing exchange to witness. I know I wasn't always the best of individuals... so there are a few chapters in the bible that really speak to me. I showed them to young Ibrahim before we left the island. We have kept in contact since my return, as we are working on some investment ideas together. (If anyone has a philanthropical investing heart and wants to help invest in their economy let me know also!!) GOD is truly working wonders in his life! One of the lasts texts he sent me said "I Pray for you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!"

Sorry this got a little Long! All-in-All... this Was an AMAZING trip! I can't wait to go back to Africa (but don't worry... I feel GOD has a large mission field here in America for me. So I won't be going to Africa to stay!) GOD Bless you All and thanks for caring so much about Christie and our Family! We are truly blessed to have everyone as our Prayer Warriors!

Love In Christ,

Kari Shermer

No comments: