Sunday, July 12, 2009

Musu and Isata

We have 5 new children at JCC. Two of those being Sallay and Sattu, one being Alice who I will introduce you to soon, and the other two being sisters- Musu and Isata. They came to JCC the day before I arrived. These girls have lost both their mother and father and had been staying with their grandmother. It was difficult for her to care for them so one of their aunts brought them to Social Welfare who placed them with us. The aunt has children of her own and therefore it is difficult for her to care for Musu and Sata as well. When they came neither girl spoke English or Creole- they only spoke Mende. Now after only a short time at the home- Musu is speaking Creole quite well and Sata can speak enough to get by. They are also helping me with my Mende. We have spent a bit of time together as they did not attend school for the last month of the school year (now everyone is finished with school and home all day). Whenever I would do my laundry or want to cook something- they would be right there helping me. We spent time reading books in my hut as well as going for a few walks and playing some games outside. I have come to enjoy these girls very much. Musu is a little mother- she not only cares for her sister Sata, but she also likes to Po-Po around Jephta (Aunty Fatty- one of the cook's little boy). He she is getting ready to tie him on her back. He loves her as well and is often seen smiling and laughing with her. When Sattu came, Musu also took her under her wing and was the one to show her the ropes or play with her while the other kids were still in class. She also thinks she is quite the disciplinarian. Though most times she may be right- we have had to work on this a bit- especially since she might be a bit of a fan of flogging. Not too much anymore.
Isata is the younger of the two girls and does like to see what she can get away with- but she is also quick with her smile and hugs. She does seem to know that Musu is the boss and will look to her for permission often. Sata has learned to communicate with the other kids quite well too. She does still prefer her Mende- which is just fine as a number of the kids do speak Mende, but she is learning her English so that she will be able to attend school more easily when it reopens. It has been fun over the past couple weeks to see Sata making friends of her own. She is no longer Musu's shadow.
I am excited for these two to start school next year. They seem like smart girls who are ready to learn- especially Musu. She is smart beyond her years. When she helps me with laundry and cooking- it is more like I am helping her- even at her young age. Most of all it is just fun to see them playing with the other kids- being kids themselves. I'll continue to update you on these sweet girls now that you know them.
Other than that- everything is going pretty well. I was able to travel with a couple guests who are staying with us to a village called Shegbwemo. (try and pronounce that gbw combo). Jim had stayed in Shegbwemo for 2 years in the early 80's with the Peace Corps. It was a really interesting trip for me to join them on. (He and his son Zach). I have seen the affects of the war n many areas of the country as well as heard peoples' stories and what not- but to be with Jim who was here before the war and see him talk about places that no longer existed, see the building he lived in in ruins, visit a LARGE place he often hung out at now just walls with trees and plants growing inside and a pool of water filling the floor- It was only 10-15 years ago that these places were just as he left them and now... It looks as though they were left for hundreds of years to waste away. The rebels came in and removed everything they could sell for money- all the windows, doors, piping, furniture- anything and then burnt much of the rest. Jim explained that not only did the one place have electricity, but it also had plumbing. To realize that this country was so much further along 15 years ago than it is now... it takes a very long time to come back from war. I was honored to share this part of their trip with them- thank you.
Since you have to go through Kenema to get to Shegbwemo I decided to stay here last night to visit JK, Tenneh, and others. We were able to go out with some friends last night and even went dancing. Though I do enjoy dancing I have NO WHERE near the rhythm that all of these guys do, but it was still fun. We are soon going to be leaving to head back to Bo. It was a nice night away to just do my own thing with people near my age, but I do love going home and having the kids come running to greet me- so soon I will be in the midst of a big group hug. Hope all is well with all of you- I can't believe Summer is half over. I guess we don't go by the same seasonal calender anymore- but it will take me some time before I stop thinking in terms of Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring. Anyway....

No comments: