Saturday, August 22, 2009

Little Black Christie

Yesterday Morie came to me very disturbed and visibly upset. We have been waiting for his wife to go into labor for sometime now. You have to understand that an exact due date is not given here so we start waiting for the baby probably long before the baby is truly ready to be born and continue to wait if the baby is actually late, so to me it seems we have been waiting for this little one long enough.

It turns out Jenna had gone into labor the day before and was still in hard labor and the mid-wife said the baby had turned. Jenna would need to go to the hospital if she was going to deliver this baby and have both of them be alright. Well the problem here is for most people they are not able to even get to the hospital and if they do many don't have the money to pay for what they would need. Well once again we were thanking God for the red jeep. Morie and I jumped into the jeep- went to get Jenna, her mom, and a couple aunts and we headed to Gondama. This is the same hospital that my little Sallay spent time in and is a hospital staffed by doctors without borders as well as native Sierra Leonians. It is a distance from town, but they are well equipt and qualified as well as the amazing blessing that it is a free hospital.

I admit that the ride out was one filled with anxiety. Most were in tears or close to it and poor Jenna was crammed African style into the back of the jeep, deep in labor that was not going well, driving on our bumpy African roads. We went straight past the clinic to the hospital. My pumoi skin helped us drive right into the gate and to the maternity ward. Aunty Agatha happened to be working. She has been a good friend to JCC as well as to me and it was a welcome sight for me to see her and know we were not only in good hands but the hands of someone I trusted and who cared about us as her family. Jenna was taken into an area they use for delivery as well as where they could do C-sections. I was allowed- and asked by the family- to stay with Jenna while Morie and the women had to wait outside. Aunty Agatha tried to listen to the baby's heart beat and though it was hard to hear it was there and what a welcome relief that was. She felt around a bit and called for an ultra sound. I am sure this machine is a few models behind but it did the job. They could tell right away that the baby's heart rate was dropping. As we were watching and discussing this one of the foreign doctors came in. She was able to assess the situation quite quickly and said that we would give Jenna 10-15 minutes and then they would take the baby by C-section.

Just as the doctor came to prep Jenna for a C, Aunty Agatha was able to turn the baby enough so that Jenna could try pushing again. It was difficult and they had to help her quite a bit- but shortly after 2:45 this precious little girl joined us here. It was amazing to watch- and also a bit difficult to see Jenna struggle as she did. I had to turn away when Aunty Agatha had to cut Jenna to get the baby out faster- but was able to turn back in time to see the little one come out. However my breath did not come for awhile as she made no sound and was quite still. The foreign doctor took her and started working on her- suctioning, giving oxygen, rubbing her- after a short time (that felt like forever) I could see her move and see her breathing, but she was still very quiet. Finally she cried just a bit and they did what they needed to to get her cleaned up, weighed, examined and what not- and then they gave her to me. Poor Jenna was still being stitched up, but I was able to take her daughter over to her, hold her close to her and put her on her stomach. I knew enough Mende to tell her her daughter was beautiful, she did a good job, and now her work was finished. (well at least that part- right). Then I was so honored to be able to bring this little girl out to the rest of her family. Morie was scared to hold her- his first child- and a little girl on top of that, but he did. Of course grandma and the aunties happily took their turn.

As I went back in Aunty Agatha asked me if I was taking them home with me- WHAT?!?! Shouldn't they stay here? She said if they could find a bed she could stay for the night if that was what we wanted- um yes I think at least 12 hours would be good. We got them all settled in, Jenna, her mom, and the little girl- who for the time being they are calling Christie. Morie came back to get some more things and was able to go spend the rest of the evening with them. Come 10am this morning he was here on the compound again ready for us to go back and get them. They were waiting outside when we pulled up. Jenna was all smiles and walking around much better than I would have ever expected- she climbed up into the jeep- which is not easy on a good day- sat through the bumps once again and was still smiling when we pulled up to her house (after she directed me to drive down what is not even a bush road, but a bush path that I was not sure my little red jeep was cut out for- but she did just fine)

What a joy it was to be a part of this whole situation. It is not easy and to think that if we were not able to get Jenna and Little Christie to the hospital- the doctors say within another hour or so we would have lost the baby and who knows how much longer Jenna could have made it. If Jenna would have gone into labor a little over a week ago- the jeep would not have been around. To rent a car is not cheap and something Morie and his family did not have money for. It was such a simple thing for me- and look what I was able to be a part of. I was there the moment this little one came into the world and was the first "family member" to hold her.

I can tell you without a doubt the ride home was the complete opposite from the ride there. Smiles and laughter. Joy and peace.

Jenna lives next door to my friend Kaddie. As we pulled in to the house, Kaddie was there- with a big smile on her face. She was here to welcome her friend and her daughter home and she did it with joy.

Though I am thankful to have had this experience I will say that I would like to leave the midwife stuff to my friend Kayla- I will stick to what other odd jobs I have been doing around here.

On a side note- football (soccer) season has started again and my team has started with three GREAT wins. Yes I have heard all the football news from over there as well- and I would like to leave that one topic alone. I have been able to keep up a bit with my beloved Packers and look forward to a great season as well.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Christie--What an inspiring story. You are truly in the heart of "real" living.