Tuesday, March 2, 2010

New leg- Long time coming.

Matthew "Sorie" is one of the teenage boys who lives with us at JCCM. When he arrived at JH he had a terrible infection in his leg. After trying to treat it for quite some time (over a couple years I think)- it was decided that the best course of action would be to amputate. Sorie and AUnty Mary went to stay at the hospital for sometime and when Matthew came home with crutches it took him a little time to adjust. Before long he was playing football with his crutches- doing the high jump- almost anything the other kids were doing. As I was getting ready to come home last Fall we started the process with Matthew at the Bo Rehabilitation Center at the Government Hospital for getting a prosthetic leg. I think at first Matthew was excited about this- but with all the work and time it took- he was not so excited. After many set-backs, by both Matthew and the staff- Sorie and I came home last Monday with his new leg. (I have uploaded this photo 3 times and each time it loads this way even though it is right on my computer and since it takes 35 mins to load each time- I figure about now it is easier for you to turn your head sideways than for me to try yet again) Here is Matthew with the man who made his leg.

Sorie has become quite adept at using his crutches. He is not so sure that he wants this leg. I guess that is where being a parent comes in. I do (along with the staff) feel this is the best thing for Sorie. He will soon adjust and be able to run and play football with this leg as well. It will take a lot of time and work before then- but without doing it he will never get there. During the time when Matthew was going to rehab to learn how to walk- we had been giving him his transport money and sending him on his own- we found out two sperate times (over 6 months apart- we gave him a second chance that did not go well for either of us) that Sorie was taking the money and going elsewhere. We had to go with him, sit and watch him rehab, and take him home. The nurses and doctors working with him have encouraged him often- but he just doesn't seem to fully agree. I also admit that Sorie is a stubborn boy ( I am sure that you picked that up already) who continues to get into a bit of trouble at the home. A few weeks ago he broke into the Head Teachers office to steal some money. He has the punishment of cleaning the school each Friday for the next month- but also that he has to start using his leg. The doctors felt he was beyond ready- just not in his mind. So as one of his parents I have decided that one of his punishments was to take away his crutches and have him get used to this new leg. I know right now he is not too happy with me- but in the long run I feel this is best for him. This might be punishment now, but it is going to be a good thing for him not too far from now. He may not admit it to me, but when I see him wearing long jeans and standing with his friends- I can see that he is proud to be seen looking just like one of them. As people compliment him- I can see a little pride sneaking in there. No pain- no gain. I guess this goes for me and for him. He has to work through the difficulties of getting used to a foreign leg and learning to walk again- I have to watch him struggle and be upset with me- though I know it is best for him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so incredibly proud of you Christie. Your maturity and wisdom is well byond your years. *Good job mom and dad in raising such a neat girl!)
You handled this situation very well with Matthew (sorie) KUDOS KUDOS