Friday, February 24, 2012

Take two or is it three

Now my third week in a row in Freetown. I have only been able to head back to Bo on the weekends and even last weekend I spent in the Gola Rain forest and Kenema so to say the least I am missing the kids something fierce and have a lot of work piling up at home. However as I have said this is also part of the job and in someways I am amazed each morning at the people I am meeting with for this job.

Yes JERRY'S ADOPTION IS FINAL. I do have the court order and I heard with my own ears the judge granting the adoption. However in this country and even our own that does not end all our problems and make the way forward smooth. One of Brenda's dear friends told her shortly after hearing the news of the adoption that we still need to be in prayer and watchful. Satan does not like to lose and in this situation we not only got the adoption we so wanted approved but our staff and children's faith has grown individually and even more so as a group together. The day after I received the court order- the attacks started coming.

I had been calling the Embassy and finally on the 6th call I was told to come to a meeting at 1pm Thurs. I arrived there early- waited, went through all the security and sign ins and finally made it into the main building- waited again. Finally when I was able to speak with someone they told me that the moratorium on adoptions still stands and though I have the court order it should all be worked with on the US side first. I did know this but in all the other 6 phone calls I was told to come to the Embassy to start what they can here. At least the drive along the hillside is pretty.

From there I headed to Social Welfare as the Visa investigation will start there and they needed to be aware of where we were at with this case. WOW- they were NOT happy at all. The Permanent Secretary raised his voice several times and essentially said that they would not tolerate the courts going ahead without them and that they would not recognize Jerry's adoption. This of course made our lawyer CF very hot and he said that the courts are the highest authority in the land so who are they to stop this case. Anyway after meeting with them both on Thursday I met with them both again at separate times on Friday. Mrs. Bangura is the Director or Children's Affairs at Social Welfare and knows me and remembers Jerry. She has been willing to work with me on this and I have had to be very diplomatic in what I say and how i react to keep our relationship and standing with SW intact but to also move Jerry's situation and the other adoptions we want forward. She asked me to come back and meet with her again on Tuesday of this week so after another long morning I was able to finally head back to the provinces.

Earlier in the week when I thought I would be back in Bo on Wednesday we had made plans with Talitha, Kate, Bret and JK to go to the Gola Rainforest for the weekend. Come Friday it wasn't really something I wanted to do anymore but knowing how much they all wanted it and said they would not go without me I tried to muster the energy to go. I had to just quickly stop in Bo to empty and refill my suitcase and get Kate and Talitha- I think it was torture on the kids and on me to just say hello and good bye. We arrived in Kenema around 8 or so and had to go searching for dinner and lunch for the following day. I barely dragged myself back to my bed on the floor in the office to crash.

We woke early in the morning to head out to the forest. I HAD NO IDEA what this trip would entail. I was told 30 miles from Kenema was the drive and we would see monkeys, birds, rain forest, butterflies... so in my mind i did think of Salone roads and thought maybe an hour and a half in the car- walk around for the day and even if we left there around 6 we would be home before 8pm. Well I was wrong- it was closer to 60 miles and 3 and 1/2 hours to get there and because of the dark over 4 hours to get home. We did not see any animals besides butterflies and maybe two birds. It was great to be in the forest- but the original hike they wanted to take us on was 14 miles- I was exhausted and not prepared. We did not do that full hike and we did end up at a river and Kate and I swam and it was beautiful and peaceful but... I almost had a breakdown in the car on the way back. My body and mind had had enough and I was especially done with bouncing all over the car on the terrible roads and my legs after two FULL days in the car were going crazy in that same position. Needless to say by the time we got back to Kenema around 10pm I was done. The next morning and day at church and hanging out was fine but I knew that I would be heading back to Freetown on Monday and was missing time at home. It was a good weekend looking back on it now and I did enjoy myself but I learned that I need to set better boundaries and I cannot do it all.

Monday found me traveling back to Freetown this time in Public transport as I could not imagine driving yet again and it is much cheaper. My meetings with both SW and Margai were scheduled for Tuesday so hopefully I would get back to Bo Tues. evening or Wed. morning at the latest- wait this is Salone remember. My meetings dragged out and had more than one and was finally able to come back Thurs. afternoon and that was because I said enough is enough and told Margai I could not meet again on Friday.

However the meetings did go well and you have to play the game here- be patient- keep going back- be firm and yet speak nicely- let them think they have the upper hand- ask questions I might already know the answer to- give enough information but hold some.... After it all- we have pretty much been given permission to go ahead with filing Jerry's I600 and starting the visa investigation. I have a good relationship still with SW and I have gotten emails from the President of the Bar association confirming that adoption cases are now able to be heard in court and there was even a request for the Chief Justice to inform all Embassies and High Commissions of the developments and that the courts are open so that foreign governments can know and move forward on those grounds. Yesterday our lawyer had a meeting with the Ambassador and was told that a long as we have a court order that is what they will go by in moving forward and will start the investigation as soon as they have the paper work.

So after three long weeks- I think we are in a good place. The adoption is final, we can file the paper work, the Embassy knows about our case and is willing to move forward, Social Welfare knows about our case and is willing to let us move forward- and there is a very good chance that all adoptions will be fully open and flowing in the near future.

Now I am ready for a rest. :) After this very full weekend ahead I might get it next weekend.

thanks for all the prayers and encouragement. It has kept me going. I have made some new good friends along the way as well.

Jerry is still excited and doing well. He is also thankful and blessed by all of your prayers and support.

Now back to the little things in life- I am off to buy a truck load of firewood and go to the kids sport day at school.

No comments: