Monday, February 4, 2008

Conflicted Feelings

For some reason this season I have really not wanted the Patriots to go undefeated. The closer they got the more I rooted for the opposing teams. It is not that I dislike many of New England's players and to be honest I think I may be a bit tired of the 72 Dolphins. However my personality doesn't necessarily mesh with the way the Patriots organization is run and how they win. I am not right and they are not wrong, it just makes me want to cheer against their accomplishing the undefeated season. At least that is what I thought until last night.

Don't get me wrong, I yelled and jumped around the room along with my friends Brandon and Ebony (who brought their beautiful daughter Noelle along) wanting the Giants to win. Screaming as Eli scrambled out of a pack of Patriots and then leaping off the couch as Tyree caught the ball with his helmet- I was completely behind New York, but I would be lying if I didn't admit that a small part of me wanted Tom Brady to lead his team down the field in those last 35 seconds and once again pull it out at the last minute to put one final W on the board. Afterwards I would have told you how bummed I was that they won and went 19-0 and yet loving sports the way I do- I would have also told you that there is nothing like watching a team (or athlete) do something many have said is all but unattainable. I love those stories, just not with the New England Patriots being that team... until I watched them walk off the field.

I am still happy that the New York Giants are Super Bowl Champions (though it should have been the Packers:)), but I feel for the Patriots. How can you go 18-0, make both the single season records for scoring touchdowns (throwing and receiving), score the most points ever, have the league MVP... and now be remembered only as the team who could have made history but lost when it truly mattered.

I guess I am a contradiction. Like I said I didn't want them to win but today I find myself wanting to defend them as everyone tears them apart. Is there something wrong with me that I wanted them to be knocked off their high horse all season and then as soon as they are I suddenly have compassion for them? I am still not sure I would have truly wanted them to win, it is just that now I am also unsure if I wanted them to lose. Or maybe it is just that I truly am screwed up.

All this over a football game.



No comments: