Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jonathan House

It has been hard for me to sit down and write this post.  I think it is partly because I have waited for this time to come for so long and I wanted to really make sure it was going to happen (I have plane tickets this time) and also because it is hard to put onto paper (or blog) all that goes into this trip but not have it so long I lose all of you.  Well I must start somewhere.

A few weeks ago I headed down to Marshalltown, Iowa to meet up with Roger and Karen from Jonathan House. We discussed what my jobs would be at JH as well as some things to expect. 

My job- I am going to be a mom.  Whoa, that sounds a little funny and perfectly fitting at the same time.  What have I done for the last 8 years but nanny. I have learned a few things about taking care of kids (and realize that I have a whole lot more to learn). I feel that this is something that I have been prepared for, have the skills for, and definitely have the passion for.

I guess I should go back a few months and try to help you understand how this all fell together (and so quickly).  As you know I was supposed to leave in September (well July before that and May before that...) but decided to stay to be with my Grandpa.  I am beyond thankful for being here and would not have done anything differently.  However after Gramps passed away I knew that I would stay with Grandma for a time, but as the weeks went by I started to wonder what I was going to do. I felt like I had been in lingo for so long and was starting to really hate it.  I mean long before Gramps got sick I was waiting for the elections to be over in Salone before making plans, traveling back and forth from the cities to Duluth for nanny jobs, not having a lot of stability in my life. I was quickly beginning the same cycle (come end of January) and I wasn't sure I wanted to do that for a whole lot longer and yet it wasn't looking like a good time to head over to Jonathan House either. The more I prayed about it the more I felt the things that we had talked about me doing at JH weren't quite going to work out for me and I didn't want to go just for the sake of going, I needed to have a purpose.  It looked like I would have to wait awhile and figure out what to do here in the meantime. I admit I was feeling a little low, but trying hard to accept that it wasn't going to happen now when I got a call from Karen. She shared with me that not only did they need me to fill a position at JH that we had never talked about, but that she really felt like this was for me. I hadn't shared with her all that I had been feeling and thinking so as we talked and she just happened to share a lot of what I had been praying about, I knew that this was where I needed to be. Being with the kids, taking care of them, loving them- that is what I had always wanted to do and this all fit perfectly, for me in what I feel gifted at as well as for JH in that I could fill a need they have. The catch was that I needed to get it all together quickly.  One of the house moms was leaving (the position I fit) and they needed me to be there to fill in. Good thing I have been partially packed for months now.

I will be part of a team taking care of the kids (85) at Jonathan House. We'll get the kids up and ready for school, I'll help take care of the kids not old enough to be in school while the other children are, help with homework, oversee chores, love them, play with them, discipline them, sing with them, dance with them, pray with them... you name it.  I'll also be doing a bible study with the older girls which I am really looking forward to.  The thing about Africa is that you can never fully plan for what is going to happen, so I am also going over with an open mind and will try to just go with the flow and help out where I can. 

The other truly unexpected, exciting news is that my dad, Kari, and Amy will be coming to visit the end of May into June. How lucky am I? They'll be helping at Jonathan House for a little over a week (dad on a goat project- how fitting is that Uncle Mike?!?!) and then we'll take a few days to explore a bit together before they leave.

As much as I have anticipated this day coming and as thrilled as I am to have it just around the corner, I am also a bit hesitant to say good-bye. I love being with my family and friends and to be so far away is not always easy. It helps to be going to a place I love, but I have no grand notions that everyday I am going to love being there. There will be difficult moments, times that make me stretch and grow. There will be events here at home that I am sad to miss, big and little. Welcoming my niece into the world as well as my nephew (yes my "sister" Holly is having a boy), weddings of dear friends, family parties...  walks with friends, game nights at the Shermer house, fits of laughter with my sisters...

It is hard when our two "worlds" seem so far apart and yet so connected all at the same time.  What I hold onto and what brings me the most joy and comfort is knowing that I am going where God has called me to be. In the trying moments and the moments of pure joy I have Him to thank and turn to. Having the encouragement and support from so many in my life also means the world. To be affirmed in what you are doing with you life... what a blessing.

This is a dream come true for me and I am eager to share this journey with you.

Thank You! Thank You!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that this is all coming together so well. When it's what God wants, those things tend to happen! What a true blessing for you. You will do such a great job at Jonathan House. The kids are so lucky to be having a new "Mom" there for them. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have your Mom advice this summer! We will just look forward to seeing you in the Fall. Let me know if I can do anything to help you get ready.

I love ya lots and believe you are going to do a great job in Africa!

Holly

Erin said...

Oh Christie,

It's amazing. I am so excited for you and for those whose lives you'll touch!

ENJOY!

Love,
Erin