Friday, March 28, 2008

Still Connected

Tonight my Grandma and I cooked dinner together and then sat down to watch some TV together. You know it is funny but every time we try to decide what we are going to watch, I get out the remote to check the guide on the TV at the same time Grams gets out the paper and reads the TV Guide there. We are set in our ways and I guess it works for each of us.
We finally come to the conclusion that we are going to watch CSI. We turn it on to find that one of the main characters has been shot. I didn't realize this because it turns out we are watching CSI: Miami- the one I haven't watched. Grandma has to explain it all to me (a new twist in events as that is usually my role unless we are watching our favorite channel- The Hallmark Channel).

"Haven't you watched CSI before?" Grams asks a bit taken aback.
"Yes I have, just not this series. I have watched the original one and CSI:NY." I answer.

I go on to explain to her that for some reason- neither good nor bad, I am not drawn to the main character in the Miami series, so when flipping through the channels I never choose to watch it. She looks a me a bit funny and then says, "You know your Grandpa didn't care for him either, so he also chose not to watch the Miami show."

Such a simple thing and yet it made my whole night. To learn something new about Gramps and at the same time realize we have one more thing in common... it warmed my heart. I love being just like him, even in the silliest, smallest things.

I miss him everyday and realize just how special it is to find that most of the time when I think of him or remember something that happened- I smile- just like tonight.

3 comments:

MC said...

What a nice moment. I have to say that I agree--CSI: Miami just isn't as compelling as the original or NY!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ya know, Ceek, you're a lot like your Gramps! He loved people unconditionally - and so do you! He was always there to help - and so are you! He was on the Mission field at age 27 . . . and Jonathan House is enjoying the benefits of the gifts God has given you! I too love seeing Gramps in you - but often when I do its cuz I see Who it is that shines thru both of you!

Keep shining for Jesus!
I love you,
Mom