Monday, May 12, 2008

Busy Fun Filled Weekend

I cannot tell you how many times over the last three days I have thought "I need to post that" and now that I sit down to do so it is hard to remember it all but I will just have to share what I do.

After I got home from the internet on Friday Aunty Mary was waiting on my back steps and we just sat and had some great girl talk for the next hour or so. It really boosted my spirits- not that they were down, but you girls know what it is like after you have a good chat with lots of laughter. That evening I received a phone call from my good friend April- she made my whole week. I was so surprised to answer and hear her voice. Shortly after I hung up with her my sister Amy called and then Kayla- who is Roger's daughter and is coming to visit soon (who knows when though right Kayla?!?! ;) She happen to call me by accident thinking it was someone elses phone, but it was so great to talk to her. She has been here many times and has a deep connection to this place- I think at heart she is truly a Mendemoi. IT is such a blessing to be able to share with her and get her thoughts and advice on things and I am looking forward to sharing this experience with her soon. So Friday was a great night for me and I went to bed with a huge smile stuck on my face- it is good to feel so loved.

Saturday came around and the two Mohameds and I went to town on bicycles. I think I like my feet better. I know that I can ride and have riden plenty of times with the kids I watch in the states- however here I was riding a small bike and with all the smooth roads around here I got a bit tired of having my legs scrunched up and going over, around, and through all the bumps- I need to bulled up my leg muscles a little more and then it will be easier. Saturday night I was invited to a birthday party at HANCI- it is a ministry on the same road as us. They used to have children, but now they have a school to teach girls tailoring and such, as well as a program for teenage mothers, helping street children with school and a few other things. One of the girls who is in university was having a party and was kind enough to invite me. Aunty Mary came with me and we headed over about 7. It was great to see another place and be able to hang out with people outside of JCC for an evening of fun. They fed us dinner and I also drank a cold Fanta- it is such a treat to have a cold beverage. The dinner was a little more interesting. We did not have rice which I was so thankful for- we had a salad and something like french fries and then everyone and I mean everyone except Aunty Mary and I had chicken- you guess what I had right? FISH. They wanted to gives us the best and so we each had a WHOLE LARGE FISH. You know me and my need to please- I had to eat the fish. I admit that they seasoned it very well and I actually enjoyed the part we would eat in America- but I could not bring myself to eat the outside and especially not the head- I think I did well though and none of them know that I do not like fish. The walk home was great as well for the evening was cool and the moon and stars were bright. I kinda miss going out at night- we are usually at the home before it gets dark and though we still go outside it is different being off the compound. After we got back some of the older boys and girls were still up. We ended up in my backyard area with a cassette player (yes that is what they still use here) playing music while I received an African dance lesson. Oh how we laughed. The movements are a little different than we are used to and you know my ability to dance so putting them together made for quite the entertainment. The kids loved it though and have told me than I can join the dance group. The funny thing was though that when Pastor Ibrihim came over we had to quickly shut off the music and sit down- I guess the kids were supposed to be in bed and Aunty Mary and I were causing trouble- he laughed though and soon joined us until Pastor Kutubu- the other staff parent came and told us all to head to bed. I think for all my help i do cause a bit of trouble as well- but we all knew that would happen. It was one of my best nights here so far- just some good old fun and laughter.

Sunday rolls around and it is time for Aunty Mary and I to cook together- we cook her dish early in the morning before church. It ends up being kinda like little fry bread circles with a sauce on top- good- you know anything fried is usually quite tastey. Maybe not so good for the slimming down but hey. We then had church and after church I was invited to go to the cinema to watch a football game so the cooking was put off for a bit. I know that my love of sports is no secret and I have to admit that I miss the competition so even though I do not know a whole lot about football (soccer) it was a great game to watch. It was for the Premire League Championship and we watched United Manchester play Wigin. I have to say that I have not wanted to like Manchester. They for some reason remind me of the Cowboys in the 90's and the Patriots today- the power house team that is always in the top and for some reason I don't like to route for them- however since some of the people I was with are big fans I cheered them on and since they are the only team I have really watched- I think I am beginning to like them- at least get to know them so... I may have a new team for while I am here. It is a funny thing to go to the cinema to watch the game. It costs 1000 Leones which is about 30 cents. We all go and sit inside this building and watch the game on two roughly 21" TVs. (My roommate Derek would never be able to handle it- or beleive it) There had to be a couple hundered of us in there glued to the TV. Ahhh the thrill of the game- it was a good one and I loved shouting with everyone. I think I will have to go again however there is only one more game and then they have a break for a couple months.

After getting back from the game we decided it was time to try to make some good old American cookies. They were going to have to be M&M since I couldn't find any chocolate chips and yet I have to say it was a bit hard to go into my stash and share- seeing their faces was worth it though. I found most of the ingredients at the market or the supermarket so we set off to do the mixing- the easy part. Then came the baking- the experiment. We all had ideas and tried a few and really just the fun of trying to figure it out together was great. By the time we finished the cookies may have been a bit more fried than baked but they still tasted great and the kids loved it. We had to break each Cookie into thirds or fourths so everyone only got a bite but it was at least something- So sweet they say. So many kids came to say that they had seen pictures of cookies but never had one- I know they have something kind of similar here, but not the same so that was fun to be able to share with them.

Now for today it was a bit crazy but with the temperature being around 75 and there being a breeze I might have been a touch cold at times. Most here say it is cold and I like to tell them I enjoy this weather and though I do I can tell I have been here a bit longer because I did feel the cold they were talking about- I still love the break though and think it is great- I hope it hangs on for tonight so it will be great sleeping weather.

As you can hear I am doing great and feeling a bit more at home everyday. God is so loving and blesses me greatly. Again I say thank you to you and your prayers are strongly felt.

No comments: