Friday, May 9, 2008

Going to the Market

Today Aunty Mary and I went to the Market. When I go to town along I only go to the Supermarket (I think I may have already mentioned this but I can't remember my own posts) because it is the only place with set prices. Anyway, Aunty Mary and I are going to cook for each other on Sunday. I am going to try to make M&M cookies and she is going to make this other cake thing. She learns American food while I learn Sierra Leonian food. We will see how it all turns out as we "bake" them over the fire so I am not sure what is going to happen, but if nothing else I always love the cookie dough.

I am getting better and better and cutting the leaves and onions and whatever else we cut, however it was bound to happen that I would cut myself and I did that yesterday. It was just a little one but when the kids were telling me how good the food was I told them it was because it was flavored with a little Christie- after a few looks of shock I laughed and it was all in fun. As you all know my humor is a bit sarcastic and though most of it goes over well there are times when I need to explain myself and then it is no longer funny.

I love when it rains here though I am sure almost no one else is. You see the rain just seems to hang in the air until it finally lets go so the humidity is not so kind to me. I would rather have the sun. I am not too hot all the time but the last few days find myself sticky and wet. I know what a nice picture to share with you. Then today I very comfortable on the walk to town and Aunty Mary was hot and sweaty- it is not nice for her, but it was nice for me to know that others are warm here too. My color is getting darker and you know how we love that so I guess it is one bonus. I did get some black grease on my skin yesterday and the kids were laughing running around saying I am finally becoming a Mendemoi (instead of a Pumoi).

I have had the chance to have some one-on-one time with the kids more often and it has been so good for me to hear more of who they are and their own stories. I wonder if it would be hard to talk about why you are at Jonathan House and your past, but it seems to give the kids a chance to share and they do not mind. To see the joy they have and the unquestioned faith in Jesus... it is an inspiration and a blessing to me. God is working in big ways in the hearts of these kids and they are the ones teaching me. They know SOOOOO much of the bible and love to share it. No one is afraid to get up in front of the group to share a verse, pray, or sing a song. What a special thing to have.

My mom is doing a good job of keeping you up to date and I am thankful for that. You all are such an encouragement to me. This is a crazy, wonderful journey we are all on together. To know that each time my mom requests anything it is right there for us... God bless you and let you know just how much you all mean to the kids here. They ask about many of you and when they say they are going to pray for our friends in America- THEY DO! It is not something said in passing and they remember each detail I share about you. Know that you are thought of as well- you are not just thinking of all of us.

I'll be back again soon I hope- I have found a place where I can come and use my own computer so hopefully I will be able to email and update from home and then just come here to send- being that I can charge my computer enough. Then pictures will come as well.

No comments: