Monday, May 5, 2008

Finally it's me- and it's long

I am here at the internet cafe and I have a little time to try to fill you in on the most filled 3 weeks of my life- how am I going to do that? I will try to paint a picture as best I can so you can see a little of what my life is like here. Even as I type this and I say a little I also realize this post may be a bit long so I do give you permission to skim it and just look at the cliff notes if you want.

  • My arrival. My trip went very smoothly and I am thankful for the friendly people I met along the whole trip. We arrived in Lungi at the airport on time and I made it through guite quickly. Joe Freeman was right at the door to pull me into a hug and then whisk me off to a waiting car. It wasn't until we were almost there that I realized Pa Conteh was with us as well. We made it to the ferry (I guess I should explain that the airport is not in Freetown and we have take a ferry across- about a 30-45 minute ride I think) by 9:45- early compared to many of the other flights. Well this night the ferry had decided to leave early- sometimes it is still there at midnight, but not this night. After many calls and pleas to come for us (or to use the other ferry that was docked right there) we learned we would not be going over that night. I cannot tell you how thankful I was that it was Joe that met me at this point. I think that I am most comportable with him and therefore even though this was a completely unexpected thing and we had no idea where we would stay- I trusted him completely and wasn't at all worried. He found us a place to stay- two rooms with a somewhat metal roof and open air in between- no bathroom but there was a shower to use. So off we went. Most of my things went into Joe and Conteh's room for safe keeping and when we found that there was no lock on my door everything else went as well- except for me. Now I am thankful for the open air above the walls so I feel as though they are close enough and can here me. I really am not worried and laugh about it all. So now Joe says they have gotten me some water for a shower and it is time to go. Now I have already assumed this would be a bucket shower, however I did not realize how much of a "welcome to Africa" this experience would be. I get what I need and folow Joe- OUTSIDE into the open yard that many houses share. There is a 2ft by 3ft building with no front on it and this is where I am to shower- no curtain or door and all these houses along with the door of our building left open. Needless to say I didn't really shower but it was nice to wash up. I lay in bed laughing myslef to sleep. you may think I should wonder what I got myself into, but having Joe and conteh there- it was just a funny story I will never forget.
  • My arrival at JCC (Jonathan House) came Friday afternoon. We pulled in and all the kids were down in this hut we call a Barri (spelling?) It was so great to see them all. One thing I have been worried about is if I could put names with faces. I write all of them letters and of course they will know who I am, but I wanted to be able to recongize them and to my surprise I did most of them. Now of course I have them all down and am learning most of their personalities as well.
  • Weather. yes it is hot. This is the hot time but soon the rainy season is coming so they keep telling me that will help. The days are around 95 and the evenings 85 and the way my room is I do not get much breeze so it helps that I am exhausted at the end of each day so I can sleep no matter what. My family will be happy to know that my light sleeping is being cured. There seems to be noise all night and with the well right out my door I cannot believe the times in which people are pumping water- even 3 and 4 in the morning. Praise God that I just hear it and go right back to sleep. I am getting a bit darker but not dark enough to keep the sunburn away yet. I used a lot of sunscreen and have burned only twice so I think that is good.
  • Independence. I am learning how to go places by myself. This has been so nice because the easiest time for me to go is while the kids are in school and yet I always needed one of tho older kids to go with me so then I had to wait until after they got home. Now not only can I go by myself- I am learning how to take a Honda and get to more than a few places. If only my skin would become a ton darker you might be able to think I am a local in a few more months. By the time my family gets here I will be able to take the girls to town and show them my skills.
  • Yesterday I went to Kenema with Pastor Peter, his wife Ina, and a friend J.K. we went there for church. It is about a 45 minute ride on actually good roads. However we still traveled African style. That means a little toyota camery (an old small one) carries at least 7 people. On the way there the driver, J.K. and I all sat in the front and it was a stick shift. then on the way home 4 of us sat in the back. The funny thing is that everyone is so used to it that I looked over and say Pastor Peter sleeping on the guy next to him and the two in the front sleeping as well as I tried my best not to lean to much into anyone- so American am I. At one point on the drive we ran into a bunch of cattle on the road- first I was surprised to see any cows then I had to laugh as it was a scene taken from a movie. They were in the road all around our car and we couldn't move until they were past and they were not walking in a straight line past us. they went where they pleased and the guy who was with them was in no hurry. We made it through and back to Bo. When you travel somewhere you go to a car park to get a vehicle to bring you and that is also where you get dropped off. This time however I had taken a large keyboard (well J.K. took it but did not travel back with us so it became my responsibility) so I have to ride a Honda while carrying the keyboard back to JCC. I did it just fine (mind you all while wearing a skirt since we had come from church)
  • Food and Cooking. It is a good thing I like rice since we have it twice a day everyday. though I do not. there is good fruit here so usually I have pineapple, grapefruit, oranges, mangos- something for one meal and rice for the next. The sauces as my mom has said are different, but there are a couple that I like so that impresses the kids. I am learning to help cook, though everything is done differently. Everything you but you hold and cut with a large knife. Usually they don't let the Pumoi's do this as we tend to cut ourselves- however I was raised by a good butcher so I have some skills. They are impressed and I haven't cut myself once- however I am sure it will happen sooner or later. SPICY that is the food- all of it. It is a good thing I like spicy food- but I have to have extra rice and little sauce in order to not cry through my meal- Amy is going to love it.
  • I have so much more to say and yet my time is coming to an end. I will come again soon- I have figured out a good cafe and their hours so I hope to come once a week and since I can come on my own it will be much easier.
  • THANK YOU!!! Your prayers are not only needed but felt. It was a little harder than I thought it would be. I think I went in thinking the first few weeks would be the honeymoon phase and then get difficult- it seemed to be the opposite. It wasn't terrible, just harder than expected to adjust and I wondered if I could make 6 months- now I am loving it and wondering how I will leave (though I am also looking forward to coming home) God is good and I rely on him more everyday. He surprises me with the love and care he has given me. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. He carries me through and is so tender with me when I need it and gives me a push when I need it too. He is in the big and small things and I know that your prayers and support are making a HUGE difference. I miss you all more than you know. It is hard not to know what is going on with everyone, but I guess that makes me turn to God all the more so...
  • My love and heartfelt thanks I send to you.

No comments: