Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Leaving Salone

This post is a LONG time coming and yet still a little difficult to write.

The day I would leave was a day we talked about for months before it happened. The staff, my friends, our church and especially my kids. In some ways I am sure it was good as we were able to talk about what it would look like. I was able to convey the love I have for each of them and how that would not change. We talked about all that has happened over the past few years- just how far we have all come because of each other.

This may have helped in the long run but it did not stop the emotions of the final few days. We were able to have a great party together at JCC. The kids and staff were so sweet. Groups of them sang songs, acted out short plays, and had such kind words to say. When it was my turn to talk I admit to getting a bit choked up. I know this may not surprise to many of you (and shouldn't) yet it is not often that I have cried in front of any of these people. It was hard to get out what I wanted to say but I was finally able to. We all prayed together and ended the party in a way we usually do- with music, dancing and lots of laughter. A few of the younger kids in their JCC ashabei (matching clothes for a specific group or occasion)
Yes I knew I would be leaving soon, yes I had planned to pack over the last month and not all at once, however it was FATTY (pronounced with a short o sound) who got it done. This girl is amazing. She is who I want to be when I grow up. Fatty struggles in school and at times that is all she sees and has a low image of herself- what I see... A wise young woman who is compassionate, the best house mom (even if it is not her job) we have, a great cook, teacher, sister, and friend. She has written me the letters that have touched my heart the most. Her faith and relationship with God is STRONG. She knows the bible and finds verses that touch you in the moment you are in and has such a gentle way of showing them to you. There is so much I could say about Fatty- most of all I cherish her and love her dearly.
So back to the packing. Fatty and I often spend time together. In the months before I left she had just taken a large school exam and was off from school. This gave us a lot of time while the other kids were studying or sleeping. In the week before leaving she became my mom. We would plan to pack all day and then a friend would invite me somewhere or the kids would want to play or.... and I would put it off. Fatty would come in the evenings and say "Mommy Christie you have to pack now". It was hard to figure out what to leave and what to take- well just ask Fatty. We would run the generator and stay up late into the nights talking and laughing. She was strong for me when people would come to say goodbye and tears for them would follow. She brought me comfort and peace through it all. The last night she slept with me after we finished zipping the last suitcase. The next morning she was gone. I literally could not find her anywhere on the compound.
Staff devotions that morning found more tears for the staff (I have to admit that I had not cried since the party- well maybe at night alone but :) and for some reason did not this morning either) It meant a great deal to me to have this moment of singing and prayer one last time with my JCC family. I had not wanted to make a big scene with the kids. I knew that once one of them started crying they all would and it would be hard for the moms and aunties to calm them down once I left. So we had said goodbye at prayer time the night before (yes there were still tears in bed but with them being so tired they soon fell fast asleep). School devotions were about to start as I walked over and was able to address the school children and say goodbye to them. A few my kids had to grab one last hug and a few tears were shed but I felt good about how we were able leave each other.
With the jeep loaded and JK and Joe ready to go it was time for my final good byes. I had to find Fatty. I took one last walk around the compound and finally found her at the front clothes line hanging up clothes. As she saw me coming she ran into her room away from me. I followed her in there and found her just sobbing. Well the tears that I had done so well holding in came flooding out. I just held onto Fatty assuring her of how much I loved her and what a blessing she is to so many. I assured her that her place in my life will never changed no matter the distance. Auntie Mary came in shortly after and I was able to leave Fatty with her. This one was tough.
As we got into the jeep all of the staff on the compound came around and we had one last prayer for safety- it was so hard to get my emotions under control and knowing me you know I just wanted to get out of the gate. However it was a special moment and driving out with the group of staff walking slowly behind us, one last time of Pa Ben opening the gate and smiling and waving as we drove out is a memory that makes me smile.
One other special night I wanted to share was a party with our church family and my friends from all over town. They were all so kind to put together a going away party for me. We were able to invite so many people who have impacted my stay in Sierra Leone including my mechanics, market friends, and fuel station guys. This was a night that everyone deserves to have. People from different areas of my life there got up to say the kindest things (yes I was blushing and uncomfortable). Music groups performed songs, wonderful food and drinks were shared, and of course once again the night ended with music and dancing. I felt so uplifted and loved.
The next day I visited my mechanic friend Jaward (well first you have to understand that Jaward and Kai have taken such great care of me. They truly are my AAA in Salone. I call them when broken down and they come- they call me when I travel to make sure I made it to where I was going. Kai even had to help us late the night of the party as the clutch had slipped- he thought he was just coming to a party and here we call him while hauling things home LATE and he grabs a honda to come rescue us) So here I am getting the jeep checked one last time before traveling to Freetown and Jaward is asking me questions about the Christian music groups from the night before. Jaward is a Muslim. He knows I am a Christian. We have not talked much about our faiths. He sees who I am and accepts me and I do him as well. I care about him. I knew when inviting him that these groups would be there (they are great friends to me) but I had no clue how much they would impact him. That night I say him dancing and smiling, even going up to a couple of the guys. This day he asked me about their lyrics and told me how great they were. I was able to get him one of their cds. This was blessing to me. Jaward is someone who I do care about. Someone who I have been friends with for a year and a half. The door for us to talk about our faiths had not opened before this time and that was fine. When it did open it was natural and we were both ready.
Being so emotional about leaving and wondering at times about my place and impact- these last few days did a lot for my heart in reaffirming what I am doing in Sierra Leone.
These two guys are two of my best friends. Not just in Salone but in my life. They brought me to Freetown and treated me to one last special night in Salone and brought me the following day to the airport along with another of my great friends Pastor Ibrahim. I am not one for tears at the airport however I often find myself crying on both sides. Leaving is always so hard no matter where it is, that is truly the worst part of traveling for me. I have to get through this moment and then look forward to the wonderful welcome on the other side. This time the emotions were a little stronger as I did not know when or if I would be returning. These people who mean so much to me- how long was this good bye for- what was I going to do without them everyday? It was hard to get control of myself but when I did I was able to look at how blessed I am to have such wonderful friends and family in two places. It is a blessing and a curse I guess but this last week hearing just how much I am cared for and how much I love these people and at the same time looking forward to seeing my family and friends at home I have missed so much- it was more on the blessing side.

Less than 24 hours later I was able to have that wonderful welcome moment as Mom, Dad, Kari, and Amy were there with arms wide waiting for hugs. We headed to the Olive Garden to meet Mike, Lor, Sophie, and Isabelle. We laughed and talked over each other before driving North. As hard as it was to say good bye- it also felt really good to be home.

No comments: