Friday, February 11, 2011

So really what have I been up to and WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?

Covering the past two years on one sheet of paper is a difficult task for me. I would love to have you all over for a fine African feast and a great chat afterwards in our living room. Since that is not possible for everyone I will try my best here.

The ways in which God has stretched me, challenged me, blessed me, humored me, and allowed me to be used are more that even I will know. The same is true for each of you in this journey with me. My not being able to do this without you is a very real thing for me. My staff, children and I talk about the people in my life at home a number of times each week. "Mommy Christie's Supporters" are dearly loved people. Whether it is random conversations with you on the street while I am home, an email here and there, asking my mom and dad how things are going, reading my blog... your encouragement and prayers go a long way to lift my spirit and warm my heart. What a blessing to be able to witness how we truly are one body even through the distance, age differences, and cultures.

Now we all know that I come from a long line of talkers or is that a line of long talkers- either way they are both true. In order to not write a book here , I thought I might bullet point a few items. If we get a change to sit down for coffee or lunch or chat over email and you'd like to know more please ask- I'd love to share. For now here are just some of the areas the last two years have found me.

  • Arriving to find a beautiful hut to live in that the staff had put their bonus' together to build.


  • Blending into the culture fairly easily and becoming Christie (mommy, auntie, sister... whatever the title before it but CHRISTIE) and not just the pumoi (white person).


  • Using your donations to put a new engine into the red Jeep Wrangler. This not only transported many of us around but 4 times became the maternity ambulance that saved the lives of these mothers and their precious babies.


  • Building stronger relationships with not only our kids but many of the neighboring children. Setting high expectations and boundaries for them and seeing them thrive and surprise themselves along with me.


  • Learning how to stand firm on Biblical truths and not American cultural norms nor Sierra Leonean and how to teach those to others.


  • Continuing to build friendships with the staff while at the same time learning how to be a leader that holds them and myself accountable.


  • Developing more friendships with Muslims as well as Christians outside of Jonathan's House.


  • Making connections in many villages and cities other than Bo and now having friends welcome me back each time I visit.


  • Working and meeting with Government officials, city leaders, chiefs and other dignitaries learning how to run an organization in this country as well as learning how to merge our organizations together for the betterment of all.


  • Being able to have true friendships with others my age.


  • Getting educated in the education system of Salone and how to better our school at JCC as well as to enter and remain involved in the right schools for our older children.

  • Helping to move our children into family style living at the orphanage with smaller homes and not just one large dorm facility. This also means helping our moms and aunties learn how to become a true family and not just managing care givers.
  • BLESSED by visits from family and friends...
  • The list goes on and on but I see my paper is running shorter and shorter :)

Seeing myself in this place and position is not something I ever dreamed I would. However looking back I can see all the little experiences and tools that I have in my life and how they come together to fit so well right here in Bo, Sierra Leone. At the same time my departure had me uncertain if I would be returning and those next few months were some of the hardest, most soul searching of my life so far. YES I love being in Salone. I love the people, what I get to do, and MOST of all my children. Yet being away from my family, friends, culture, comforts of home... is NOT always an easy thing. Spending more time with my nieces and welcoming my nephew into the world, being there for my friends big life moments as well as just a walk or cup of coffee, attending family events... this has brought the realization of what I am truly missing into clear view for me. So even though to many of you it seemed to be a given that I would return, it took me some time to come to that conclusion with you.

There was not one moment when I knew I had made the decision. My feelings just began to get a bit clearer. HIS direction in my life seemed to become clearer. I began to get ideas of things we could do at JH, excitement would well up in me as I thought about implementing this or that or sharing something with one of my kids or the staff. It was also hard for me to hear of certain things going on and know I was not there to help them deal with it or celebrate it. So many prayers and thoughts running through my mind and eventually I DID KNOW and (the key is) BELIEVED that Sierra Leone is where God wants me to be. He has created me for this at THIS time in my life. So for now I say yes to Him and March 31st I will be going back to Salone as Program Coordinator along with Joe Freeman (and the rest of the staff) at Jonathan's House. I am thankful for my family's support even though this is a difficult thing for them and for me. Passion and excitement about what I am able to do alongside the staff and people of Salone does not take away the pain of missing my family and friends here- AND the knowing that they are hurting and missing me. However obeying God's will for my life makes me confident that He will hold each of us in His hands, provide for us and bring us comfort.

So again I THANK YOU for the support and encouragement you have given me and for allowing me to be a part of something great. Your love and prayers have reached me when I needed them most. If you would like to continue supporting me in anyway please let me know.

From the depths of my heart as well as the hearts of the staff and our children- we pray that you may know and feel just how thankful we are for you.

Love, Christie


** It has amazed me how many of you read my random thoughts and postings here on this blog. To know that people I only know through connections with others- or at times are completely new people to me- as well as those who have known me for quite awhile would take the time to not only come here but to also contact me or my family to share such kind words (or gentle pushing when I have not posted in awhile or just plain need it for other reasons :)) is more of a blessing to me that you would realize. What a feeling to be so cared about! For that reason I share all of this with you. It is not easy to share my deeper feelings (and not so pretty decision making process) though it always ends up being good for me. It is also not easy to admit that I need help to be able to do what I love. Let's face it asking for money is NEVER easy. However as much as I do need financial support I also need emotional and spiritual support (also not easy to ask for) and I feel that is very much what I get through those of you who follow me here. The affirmation, comfort and boost I often need that comes from many of you is something that I will continue to need and at times need even more. So I am putting this out there- even if it is not easy. Though I do find it getting a little easier all the time knowing that it is going to each of you.

I would love to send you more information or a prayer card with some photos on it for your fridge or desk- just email me with your name and address and I will get it right out to you. ceekshermer@yahoo.com Or email me just to let me know (or remind me) that you are out there- amazing how that simple thing of knowing you are there brightens my whole day/week/month...

Thanks again- for reminding me that I matter and am in no way- alone.

No comments: