Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Journey Begins Again

You would think after this many times it would just be a breeze- however I have a lot of anxiety each time I travel (well travel to Sierra Leone). Checking in (this time with 6- yes six- suitcases- what?!?!) actually getting on the flight (remember the time JK and I got sent home and asked to come the next day, rescheduling flights, taking an expensive taxi back to Mike and Lor's, getting out of travel mode....) going through security with some odd things I travel with to an underdeveloped country- 3 TIMES, and just all the joys of waiting in airports, take-offs and landings, sitting on a plane for 8 hours twice... BUT think of the welcome I will receive when I finally reach Freetown. That is one of the things that will get me through the goodbyes on this side (though I will still shed some tears and carry some sadness with me). Enough whining already right? We had a great trip down to the airport- Mom, Dad, Amy and both Grandmas and I left our house around 4pm. We met Nick, Jamie, Koryn, and Asa and Erbert and Gerberts (you know how I love sandwiches) for a quick dinner and another chance for some hugs. Of course a bit of laughter filled the place and we lingered with some really good Minnesota Goodbyes and then the 6 of us were off again. This time we decided to stay at a hotel near the airport so there is less stress in the morning. Even though we arrived after 8:30- we had a FULL PARTY here until after 1am. My sister Kari joined us along with uncle Dean, Mike, Lor, Sophie, and Isabelle and friends LB and Lancelot. Let's just say our neighbors and thankful we stayed at a decent hotel with good sound proofing. This is one of the great parts of traveling. Each time before I leave we usually meet for a meal with this group and at times a few more- the schedule just wasn't set up for that so everyone came here. LOVE this. So after the parents and grandmas headed to bed in the next room those of us left made sure I had what I needed and was organized well for getting in and out of check points with less stress. Then I had to practice putting my carry-on above my head many times to make sure it would easily get into the over head bins as it is not light. Carrying it African style was a whole lot easier on the back and arms- I'm just not sure that my balance is good enough. Anyway- Dad just walked in and asked if we are ready to go- ummm not yet. So I had better run. I leave today at 11am our time and will arrive in Lungi, Salone at 12:50 our time. The first night we will stay in Freetown and Friday morning head to Bo. I cannot wait to see my friends tomorrow night- and really am looking forward to Friday morning pulling into the JCC compound and seeing all my kids. Thanks for your prayers and support- I'll let you know shortly after I reach

2 comments:

Christy said...

Awww, safe travels. Sorry about Mad dog and goodbye to a buddy. Looking forward to your back-in-Africa post!

LB said...

way to get your blog update done. :)