Sunday, April 3, 2011

My hut is still standing.

** each time I go back and edit this to add the paragraphs and breaks in this LONG post it keeps putting it back in one paragraph so- I guess it will stay that way- good luck in reading it. Praise God for a great journey here. If you talked to me at all in the last week before leaving you knew that the traveling was not something I looked forward to- especially checking in at the airport and getting through security each time I had to. (I guess from the blog you would know that as well :)) This was probably the best trip I have ever had to Salone. The worst thing was a few drops of coke spilt on my knee by the lady next to me and onto the strap of my bag. Not too bad. A moment of panic wanted to come as Amy, Mom, Dad and I walked up to the counter with my six suitcases and the lady tells me that the max you can take is five. I have called the airline once a week for the past three weeks before leaving to ask about luggage- I wanted to give her a piece of my mind and looked over to see that each member of my family was ready to do the same but the lady was so nice and helpful we just couldn't. She said she would figure it out and did. Then sent it all through and for $50 less than I expected. I made it. Well through that moment- next was having to say goodbye to my fam. A few tears were shed but we did well. I only had to go through two check points and made it through each smoothly. I think I resemble a terrorist since I am almost always chosen for the pat down and emptying my carry-on for them to check it all. I know that I am not doing anything wrong and will make it through but I do not enjoy repacking right in the middle of the airport. No need this time. This could get quite long as the trip did take two days but other than getting very tired of sitting (and for the first time having swollen feet after the trip) it was a fine trip. Arriving in Freetown I was able to call Joe and JK and knew they were just outside. After getting through customs a friend from Rutile met me and now works at the airport. He helped me through what often can be a hair raising experience of getting out of the airport with no trouble at all AND WITH ALL SIX suitcases. This is a huge deal. My family came with 8- lost 2. First time they came I think the team came with 12- lost 5. Other teams same deal so- just me and my 6 suitcases leaving the airport on the same trip was the final piece to an amazing trip that did my heart wonders. I walked out the door to see Joe and JK just past the gate. What a great feeling to walk up and get hugs from both before literally being dragged into the taxi. Here you have to take a ferry or helicopter to get to Freetown- with the helicopter being $80 and the ferry being $1.25 we always take the ferry. This time we would have had to wait for 3 hours so we decided to take one of the long wooden boats. Not the first time but definitely the first with this much luggage. After arriving on Freetown's side we headed to a fine dinner to celebrate Joe's birthday complete with ice cream for dessert. Probably my last real ice cream for some time (I guess that large dish at home was not really the last:)). We had a great night together catching up at the guest house and then walking around Ftown a little the following morning before heading to Bo. I have to admit that as excited as I was to get there and see everyone it is also a little overwhelming. We turned onto the JCC road and not too far down people started shouting "mommy Christie, Mommy Christie!" oh we laughed and it continued all the way to the gate. The kids came running . I jumped out and was met with hundreds of little hugs and smiles and laughter. Even the youngest ones who had not even met me yet came running with smiles- NO TEARS- also kinda a big deal as most small kids are afraid of the pumois. Oh yes my Patrick was there- even Sallay came RUNNING and yelled "Mommy Christie" She is talking a lot now- and I heard it the first day. However the last couple days she is around me but quiet now. I understand this about her. This is her way to show me I have to earn my way back in- I will do it but it was great to see that her first reaction was one of joy. After all the hugs and how are yous there is a moment of wondering if it will all fall back into place and I think that was a question in the back of my mind as Joe and JK pulled out of the compound. No need to worry though. We chatted and chatted that evening and I know I am home again. Many friends have come to greet me and I have been able to visit others. Church today was a bit crazy as so many came to welcome me home- and that is what they say- "You have come home." More to share when the time permits- hopefully my next post will be about the great birthday month this has been for me. The parties did not end in MN as last night a group of friends had a surprise birthday/welcome home party for me. Yes I miss my family and friends in the USA but am feeling beyond blessed and completely loved- by all these people but most of all by God as he has shown me so much through these few days. The ways in which he has given me peace and comfort, assurance and confidence... that I really am in his hands and that He IS taking care of me- I should NOT worry. I do realize you are looking forward to pictures- they will come. Thanks again for the prayers along the way. I am also loving the emails and comments when I get a chance to read them. SOOOOO MANY greetings from all here to all of you there.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I first read the title too quickly as "My huRt is still standing." Glad this is not the case, as it seems you have excitement and peace.

LB said...

miss your face.