Monday, April 4, 2011

Yes I am that OLD.

A few weeks before my birthday I was spending some time in Marshalltown with the Stepec family. (along with visiting a few other friends and getting things set with Jonathan House). This family is one of those closest to my heart and these boys... I cannot tell you how much I love them and truly enjoy spending time with them. The last evening I was there Jack started asking in the afternoon if we could have dessert yet- after dinner dessert. Steve would kindly tell him after dinner and swimming lessons- he struggled to wait and when he brought it out I understood why. They threw me the sweetest surprise party ever. Steve made this brownie in the shape of Africa- very good map skills. They know I love brownies a whole lot more than cake. We pretty much finished it all off- Henry eating almost ALL of the M&Ms. He had just reached over and grabbed the first one in the photo above. Our party was complete with a few rounds of ring-around-the-rosie and help opening some great for Africa gifts. This was a truly touching moment for me and one I loved sharing with this family.The weekend of my birthday my extended family got together one evening for a ton of eating and even more LOUD talking and laughter. Nick, Jamie and kids came for the weekend along with Mike, Lor and girls and even Kari surprised me. A good number of Shermers joined us Sat night. Below are three of my favorite girls. They are growing older every minute and I know coming home in October I will have to "get to know them" again. I love being able to have such real conversations with them.Sunday morning Amy, Kari and I headed to Duluth. We were meeting some friends at Grandma's in Canal Park for lunch. We went a little early to hit the Lake Walk. The ocean here in Sierra Leone is beautiful but it is crazy how much I miss the lakes. With ice break in process it was fun to watch the large chunks floating and crashing against each other. Also beyond thankful for a day with my sisters.The burger at Grandma's was fantastic- one of the best I have had (that is until my dad cooked burgers on the grill my last Sunday home- none compare to his). The company however was many times better. It is so hard to be able to travel around and say goodbye to each of my friends so this was a great chance to hang out together and be able to see them again before I left. They each are in my life from different times and each mean a great deal to me even if we are not able to get together often. At this point I thought my birthday celebrations were finished. As much as I like ice cream, love, and gifts I do not love being the center of attention so it was just fine with me that it was over. However I was wrong. The Saturday after I arrived JK came to pick me up so we could get some dinner together. When we took a tour all around Bo I started to think that something might be up as he kept checking his phone and then driving further. We pulled into the studio "to pick something up" to find our close group of friends all there (minus one). They had talked and wanted to be with me for my birthday and welcome me back. We had a great dinner together (thanks Belinda, Violet, and Monica for all their hard work- they cooked a small chicken for each one of us along with sides and fine drinks). The party itself was a gift but then they each stood up to say what they felt about me as well as welcoming me back "HOME". A precious moment and gift I will not soon forget. Honestly I was not looking forward to being 30. We have all these ideas of where we should be at thirty and I was not in many of those places. Not only am I not settled in a house with a husband and kids- here I am headed off again to an underdeveloped country in West Africa- beyond that it is a HOT country (however the lack of electricity means there are always cold "showers" to cool me off). I am okay with this. I am not ever going to be on the "American path"- how many are? I am in a place that 10 years ago I would never have envisioned but have come to love. God has brought me through difficult times and given me such an honor to be used by him here. What is 30- another number yes. AND maybe more. I have learned much more about myself. I am more confident in who I am. I know my boundaries more. I have more depth. I am okay saying no and not pleasing everyone (a big accomplishment from where I was even 5 years ago). I have grown bounds in my faith, friendship with and reliance on God. Oh there is so much more. God has done much over these years- given me experiences I will not forget and that have shaped who I am. So yes I am that old- and I am okay with it. (most days :)

1 comment:

LB said...

95% of the time ;)