Monday, April 11, 2011


Families reunited... so great to see. Mabel and Patrick have been with us for some time now but their little sister Gifty has been staying with an Auntie in Bo #2. Their father is blind and their mother passed away after giving birth to Gifty. At that time Mabel and Patrick came to us but with Gifty being so small and requiring extra care the lady who had delivered her decided to keep her for sometime and give her the attention she needed.

I would not be able to tell you the number of times Mabel would ask me when Boi (as she calls her) was going to come live with us. Mabel is a little mother to Patrick and feels the same towards Gifty even though she has spent little time with her. Before I left last fall I visited Gifty frequently (we had sporadically since I had come)- you see Gifty's knees are turning in and we have been trying to see what the doctors can do for her. So almost twice a week I would go pick her up and bring her to the government hospital where they put casts on and off- checked things- rehabbed... you name it and each time I would arrive to take Gifty she would scream and turn away from me. I would offer her a biscuit and sweet and she still would not come- she would just turn her head away from me. Once we were in the car she would stop crying and let me take her anywhere- even only crying silent tears when they would work with her- but she never really grew to like me. SO when I saw her at the compound I expected her to cry again- instead she came right up to me and said "Hi mommy Christie" I cannot believe how much she talks- and how much she is just like her brother Patrick. Even to the point that when I tel the kids to go to their own houses- she will look at them all and tell them to go home and then she will come inside the hut and shut the door. The first time I came and Patrick was her age he used to do the same thing.


Another family reunited is Sallay and Kaddie Charles. Sallay attended our school for the past couple years. Last year while JK and I were in America her father passed away. Her mother is still alive but has a very difficult time caring for the children- providing food and place to stay. Before I returned Social Welfare had brought Sallay to us so she could continue school. For some reason at that time they decided to have Kaddie stay with her mom. I guess that situation did not work out too well and around the same time Gifty came to us so did Kaddie. She is a bright, smiley, funny, trouble causing toddler. She and Sallay are also happy to be together again and Kaddie has now also started nursery school.

This one is for MAMA B- LB your girl asked me to take a snap of her for you and this is her pose- she is all Sass. I just love Betty- and I know you do too. (As do so many more of you) Mommy Elle- here is your precious girl in her birthday dress. The shoes were a bit small but as you see the dress fits fine. Everyone danced around her and let her know how beautiful she looked. Her mom (also Alice- did you know that- Alice is in Mommy Alice's house) dressed her and added this bow along with the recent bow you sent. She is talking so much now- and still thinks she is the boss of all the little kids (even though a little bigger than she is)

Just so you know that I really am here- a quick photo of me and one of my sweet girls. Mabel has been a bit attached lately- so much so that at times I have to ask Mommy Erica to bring her back home just like they have to come for some of little kids.


There is such great love here- on both sides.

3 comments:

LB said...

my heart is in 8 billion pieces on the floor of my office right now.

Leah said...

Love your updates Christie!~ So glad you are where you can be of such wonderful influence to these children.
We're very proud of you!
Leah

Unknown said...

Glad to see the updates Christie keep em coming!!! And I love the pictures