Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter and Independence Day

I am a bit bummed as the internet is too slow to upload pictures today- but that doesn't mean I can't at least tell you about our long weekend.

Our kids have been on break from school since last Friday. We have a long break because of Easter as well as April 27th being Sierra Leone's 50th Independence Day- BIG DEAL! It has been fun to have the kids home- nothing too exciting happened the first few days but I still enjoyed just getting some more time with the kids. We took a number of walks to the junction and to town. The little ones followed me EVERYWHERE. I cooked with the moms and aunties- really we just had a good time being together.

Friday came and going to Good Friday service is an important thing. After quickly cooking for the day we headed to church. We had thought that church was at 10am but got a call that it was early due to the Baptism Service at the river. So we hopped into the jeep and rushed to get there only to find out that we were right the first time. Oh well we were able to spend some time chatting with our other friends who arrived early. Service was good and afterwards I was able to have lunch with friends and spend sometime waiting for the mechanics to fix the jeep after a breakdown- since that took a good portion of my day I missed the football match my boys won but was able to get some time with the girls in the evening.

Saturday was cleaning day for all of Salone- the last Saturday of the month is a day where no one is allowed to go out before 10am. You are to use this time to clean up around your area- with the Big Day coming this week it was even more important to do this. The kids and I worked on our compound and then Fatty and I headed to the market. Our group of friends were coming over for game night so Fatty helped me make some fried plantains, sweet potatoes, and donuts with gravy- it was delicious and the game night was just what I needed. You know how I love games and it was great to just spend some fun time with friends.

Sunday morning brought an EARLY morning for all. Of course we do not have the Easter Bunny or colored eggs here- that part of Easter has not reached here. However our tradition here is to rise early and go around singing songs of how Christ has Risen- He is Alive. In some ways the time reminds me of Christmas morning. The kids are so anxious to get up and go out to sing. I heard them very close to 5am. I think the mom's may have had to hold some of them in the house until 5 and at that time the rushed out to share with those close to us just who Jesus is and what he did for us. Yes I admit- I smiled as I layed in bed, called out to them all and then went back to sleep for another hour. :)

Church services Sunday were long but filled with loud singing and dancing. If there is one thing that is done here in church it is dancing. It meant a lot to me to have so many come give me special Easter greetings as even though I enjoyed all here- I do miss being with my family at this time. The mom's here also took great care of me as I had three different meals for lunch. They all wanted me to have some of theirs and I was grateful- though I just couldn't eat it all- another blessing for the security and kids. Sunday evening I was able to spend some time with Auntie Margaret and her family. It is always nice to just sit in a house and spend some family time together.

NOW comes MONDAY- the big outing day. With it being Easter weekend and then having the big 50th Independence day on Wednesday the area UBC churches came together for an outing- a day spent at the river with loud music, food and drinks. All of our kids were able to attend thanks to a gift we received from Auntie N- who was visiting from the states. The mom's and older girls prepared some very FINE food- the kids all dressed in their JCC shirts and we headed out to the River. Our kids danced the whole day away. There were so many comments from others about how good our kids were and how much fun they were having and how they made the outing better for everyone. I loved it and so did everyone else. There was a dance competition and our kids represented us well. It was a long day though and I know the kids all collapsed into bed when we reached home. I was also able to stay a bit longer to spend time with friends. This was a great day for us. It is so good for our kids to get out and even better when we can be an example and inspiration to others. I love seeing the smiles and laughter on their faces.

So yes- we have had a wonderful Easter. Now I am headed off to Mattru and Rutile with some friends for a music launching. We will be in Mattru tonight and Rutile tomorrow night- so we will spend the Independence day there- they have a large sport competition and then our concert at night. Two of my girlfriends share their birthday with Salone's Independence and we will be there together. I look forward to how this time traveling together will continue to build these relationships. Often this is a time when we connect the most and I am blessed to have it come early in my time here.

So yeah- they are just calling that we are ready to go. This post was a bit of a rambling and I have been interupted by the kids a number of times and didn't really go back to see where I was- so I pray it makes sense. I realize that I have not posted in a while and last you all knew I was sick. I wanted to get something out to let you know I am better (still a little weak but coming up fine) and I also wanted to let you know the kids are doing well and enjoying their holiday.

Hopefully pictures will be coming soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christie!
Glad you are feeling better and that you had a great Easter!
:) Leah