Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's a bit early but I got the official welcome to Africa...

MALARIA.

I honestly am shocked by how quickly this happened as well as how severe it was this time. I decided not to take Malaria meds this time- preventative meds (yes after consulting with my doctor) since I will be here for a long period, since I know the symptoms, the cost of the drugs being so high, the effects the drugs themselves have on your body long term... it was not just a rash decision. However I did not think I would be feeling the effects of this decision so soon.

Thursday I had not had much appetite but I could have attributed that to many things. As I went to bed that night I prayed for a long time. I have not been sleeping well and I was just asking God to give me a good nights rest. I awoke Friday morning with a smile on my face- I didn't remember a thing from the night before. I read my bible a bit, got out of bed to get ready to go for a walk and as I stood up I was surprised at how weak I was. After getting ready I decided to skip the walk as I was out of breath just from that. When the time came I headed up to the office and it was all I could do to make it through- answer a few questions and get back to my room.

When I made it to my chair I realized I had a high fever and was very nauseous. I was extremely weak, my whole body ached... By 11am I had emptied everything that was in me and more and was barely able to move. I knew what it sounded like (malaria) but the previous times it came on slowly, feeling a few of the symptoms and then feeling better and then a few more. This to me happened in a matter of hours. Maybe I brought the flu with me and it took forever to come out- everyone was sick before I left.

By 4:30 all my pride and sense of "just fight through it" was gone. I called Auntie Margaret. She is JK's mom but also a very qualified nurse. She came and tested me for Malaria and when it came back positive she had the treatment right there with her. This is a new kind that MSF has been using for it's medical staff so they are not down as long. She even sat with me after I took it and rubbed my back trying to help me relax and make sure the medicine stayed down.

That night I fought between being extremely hot and freezing. When the fever was so strong again I got up, washed, took more meds, and prayed for some sleep and relief. I awoke the next morning colder than ever. I had on two long sleeve shirts, my thick fleece and two blankets. Finally my fever broke but then the dry heaves were back. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I really thought this day would have been the beginning of the end. I had to fight through another whole day of it. Auntie Margaret came back to visit along with JK- as did the kids and staff all day long on and off. My dear Mabel moved into the hut and just sat near me quietly most of the day- that is until she fell asleep and snored loudly:)

Praise God when I woke up this morning the fever and nauseousness were gone. Yes I am still weak but that is to be expected and I will make it through.

I have been sleeping under my net and using bug spray but not the first night in Freetown- maybe that was it or who knows- all I know is that little bug carrying this big bug made it's way through. But through this really difficult few days have come some great blessings.

Not only have the kids and staff done their best to take care of me and comfort me, as well as Auntie Margaret and plenty other friends but today "My group of good friends" came over right after church to pray with me. They came in and say awhile but then said even though they could see that I was getting better- they had come to pray and still planned to do so. We started with a few songs and in the middle they changed the songs to personally fit me- Honestly I was so touched in that moment. They continued to all pray out loud over not only my health but my job, my house, my relationships, my emotions... I was really moved and uplifted. I know that after such and exhausting ordeal my emotions were already raw but this would have impacted me even if they weren't. My relationships in our large group times have been great and easy to get back into, but honestly at times the one on one and the depth is hard to know where it stands- then something like this happens and I have faith and confidence that it is there and will grow.

So yeah- I am sure there is more to say but my brain is not at full capacity yet. There are more struggles to come, some I am aware of and some that I am not. I stand comforted in knowing that it is not I alone here- for in my weakness he is made strong. These attacks are drawing me closer to him- so though I am not liking the attacks themselves I am thankful for that aspect and continue to focus on God, who he is, and what he is asking of me.

If there is one thing I can ask of you????

Please keep praying.
C

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you.

Unknown said...

Haha this is LB, for some reason on my phone I'm signed in as Margaret cause I just checked er gmail from my phone haha

Leah said...

Hope you have fully recovered!