Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Story of My Bed- and Saidu

On the container that just came I was blessed to receive a new mattress. It is beautiful and soft and even and wonderful. However at this point it was still just a mattress. I had not had the bed frame made before it came as we do not have mattresses here in Sierra Leone that size and we needed to be able to measure it and make a bed specially for this great mattress.
On of our "big boys" (really he is a man now) is Saidu. He first came to JCC not having attended school but with his age it was decided to put him into carpentry training. He completed his training and had his certificate to prove it, however this was still not what he wanted. After talking with some of the staff and team members who were visiting Saidu explained how much he wanted to go to school. Now remember he is a big boy already at this time and would have to start in primary school. He didn't mind and he did it. He sat in class with kids half his size and worked his way through class six. He sat the external exam and passed.He then entered Junior Secondary School and made his way through to sit the B.E.C.E- the external exam needed to enter into Senior Secondary School. This happened last school year. Although he did pass at this point we have decided to not continue with academic schooling for now. At this point Saidu is 24 years old. He now knows enough English and math skills to help him do small business and more. If he were to continue on he would be 29 years when he graduates high school and we are truly not able to support him through that age and more as college would be another 4 years.
Saidu and I sat together to come up with a plan that would work for him and JCCM. He would come work at JCC as one of our carpenters (one of our carpenters took a schooling leave and we needed a new one anyway). This would allow him to improve his skills as well as be able to start supporting himself. During these years I would help him to get some tutoring and extra classes on the side and he can work towards taking his private WASCE- this would be similar to a GED. At this point depending on his results he could go on to university and he would still have the benefit of being able to make items and sell them to continue to support himself- whether it be shelving or tables or desks or EVEN BEDS.
So fast forward a few months and Saidu has been working along side our head carpenter Emmanuel for some time. I approach them both about the bed I am looking for as it is similar but yet different from other beds here. Now Emmanuel and I have been friends and coworkers for years but we still at times have trouble understanding the more detailed things from each other- having Saidu made a world of difference. With his English and other skills he was able to take what I had drawn and explain it to Emmanuel and together they made it come to life (yes a little different from my drawing but most of it was there- and some even better). They worked well together and even on Saturday I found Saidu in the shop working on the bed alone. Within just over a week my bed was finished. Now started another difficult area of making things for Mommy Christie. I like what I like. Here we only have clear and red farnish and I really wanted a brown. Not having things available does't always stop me. Saidu knows this so he was willing to talk with Emmanuel with me. We took the clear farnish and then some powdered brown hair dye I had found in town. Yes Hair Dye. We mixed them together- and added more and more hair dye and came up with a very nice color. It might not be as dark as I originally thought I wanted but it is very nice. All the staff have come by to compliment both Saidu and Emmanuel on the fine bed they have made.
For the first time Saturday night I slept on my new bed and mattress. At first when I layed on the bed during the day and first thing at night I had a glimpse of what it might have been like for someone who spent years sleeping on the floor and when they were given a bed still chose to sleep on the floor. It was almost too soft and comfortable. I mean I had slept on a thin sheet on foam on top of some boards for almost 5 years- this was now a real pillow top mattress. yeah that lasted for one night. Sunday night I slept so hard and have continued to. I love it and I LOVE the bed. It is so special to me. Yesterday Saidu and Emmanuel put the frame for my mosquito net up. I explained to Saidu how I wanted it and he made it happen. It is perfect now.
Saidu's dream is to be a contractor. He wants to be able to do all areas of construction. This is a great place for him to be as we also have masons and electrictions and he lives with our Construction Supervisor. You will often find him sitting near Barjon as he is making his plans and estimates. Saidu is truly becoming his right hand man. Barjon trusts him with everything and knows that Saidu not only understands it but will handle it well.
This bed will be with me for many years to come and I love knowing that he had a large hand in making it and that he cares so much for me and wanted so much to please me.

No comments: