Friday, March 1, 2013

Recently I was given this sweet little puppy. Her name is Sara- this will be explained later- did I ever think I would have a dog named Sara- NO. But it now fits her. She is unlike many other dogs here in Sierra Leone. Those of you who have visited know that most of our dogs all look alike with some little variations in color, but mostly the same size, hair length, and general make-up.
She really is one of the sweetest mellowest puppies I have met. The kids are in love with her and carry her all over- and she lets them. As you can see with Nancy below. They treat her just like their baby. Sara is adjusting well and I am in love with her. She sleeps in my room at night and after only 1 accident she is now completely trained. She has taken a trip to Kenema with me and is learning to use the leash well. She loves to be with the other dogs and has worn many dress-up clothes put on by all those children who love her so much.

 Her buddy Chuck (below) sleeps in the parlor and is my first dog. He was given to me as a gift 1yr ago this past November. He was also a puppy at the time. He came to me from Sulima where we have a church plant. It is on the Ocean near the Liberian border. Just like Sara he is a dog that is not very common here so as I walked him up and down the road everyone would comment that I brought him from America.
He to is loved by all the kids- but Mabel is especially close to him. He is in love with her as well as she is one that he listens to and lets do just about anything with him. JK thinks Chuck is pretty great as well. Chuck knows me and loves me and comes to me whenever I come home and likes to be near me but gets actually excited when JK comes. This will work well for us as he can be closest to Chuck and I will have Sara. (Below is a picture of Chuck as a puppy- along with JK and I and Mabel and Patrick.)
I do realize this is a strange post but at the same time they are also a part of my life and a part that be somewhat American. Most dogs here are not really trained and not too much loved on. These two are (though not quite as much as my dear friends Kayla and Jenna's dog Jayla- now she is truly a member of their family :)) At times when the language fatigue becomes to much, or I am missing just having family around, or friends from home- it is hard to be able to communicate those things to people here and have them really understand- I mean I have been here long enough and have family and friends here right? True but it will never replace mine from home. These two dogs will just walk with me or sit on the veranda and someone is there when I am feeling that feeling. They also are around for all the good times- and it is so much fun to watch the kids with them.
 
This past weekend I took them both to Kenema with me. JK and I would put them on their leashes and go for walks around town in the mornings and evenings and some afternoons. It was a great excuse to get out and around. It did feel like a day close to home as NO ONE else walks their dogs like this. We did enjoy it though.
 
As for their names... My great friend LB introduced me to a TV show a few years ago and gave me the first 2 seasons on DVD- I LOVE TV ON DVD- especially while here. The show was called Chuck and not only JK and I but ALL our close friends fell in love with this show and the characters- whenever a new season came out we had to figure who was coming over or if I was going home to get it. It made us laugh, gave us a mystery to solve, characters to fall in love with and watch fall in love, family relationships, shopping and SUBWAY SANDWICHES and so much more. So when this fun mellow white and brown little puppy was given to me we decided to name him Chuck and it stuck- we have even met a few more dogs named Chuck around- and some Morgan's from those who have borrowed the show from us.
 
If you have ever watched this show you know that Chuck's love is Sara- well this Chuck is a little old for our Sara right now but in the future she will no longer be and we do plan to have some puppies. It will be a long time yet but I think it will be fun- we already have people claiming her first little ones.
 
It's so hard to know where to start with the kids and my life here after being away from the blog for so long- so I guess I have just gone to the dogs.



1 comment:

LB said...

your welcome :)