Saturday, November 1, 2008

Friends with the Folmans

I met Jen and Ben my freshman year of college- in fact Ben started out as My best friend Pete Pfutzenreuter's roommate. Over the years Ben and Jen went from being friends to boyfriend and girlfriend one summer- engaged the next- married the next- and parents the fourth summer. My mom reminded me last weekend that in fact Ben was my first husband. I was honored to be Jen's maid of honor but when Ben's Army newsletter came out they had mistakenly read the marriage license (which I had signed as a WITNESS- not BRIDE) and wrote "Congratulations to Ben Folman and Christine Shermer on their recent marriage." It was great while it lasted, but...
They now have two great kids- Sophia who is all girl- rings, crowns, princess dresses, high heel shoes- the works; while Caleb is all boy- (notice the face), cars and trucks, pounding on things, climbing, jumping and of course break dances. I was lucky enough to be able to spend some time with them this Friday. The kids are constantly growing and changing but it was great to have them both remember me and come up with some great games for us to play together. (how many rings am I holding along with my crown and push as many cars and trucks off the table as you can) Hopefully we'll play those games again soon.

No comments: