Saturday, November 1, 2008

What- My car is not built for Off-roading?!?!

After sitting for the past 6 months my old reliable car that has gotten me through the past 8 or so years with little trouble decided she didn't want to start for me. Amy had taken her out of storage and she ran just fine but as I got in her a few days later... nothing. So there she sat for the next two days until 9:30 one DARK evening my dad decides now is the time we should bring the car over to the neighbors to fix it. (If you know my dad this is no suprise to you). I drive a stick so instead of jump-starting the car we decide to push start it. Dad hops in the driver's seat and Amy and I start pushing. We head down the road between the new house and the shop. As you can see by this photos it is not the curviest of roads but neither is it straight.

Well... the push starting did not work (still NOT going to jump start the car) so we get out the four-wheeler and decide we can really push the car to get it going. Now remember I said DARK night. No moon, no stars, no headlights and therefore NO LIGHT. So now it is my turn to hop into the driver's seat and dad is on the four-wheeler pushing me. It takes me about 3 seconds- and 30 ft of road to realize I can see NOTHING! I did manage to drop the clutch a couple times, but then I started to panic. I tried honking the horn- no battery= no sound. I put on the breaks- being pushed by a powerful four-wheeler being driven by my dad=no stopping. I soon found myself over a rock and into the woods- taking a few trees down on the way.

Now you would think that this would be where the story should end, but this is just the middle- really part 1 of 3. At this point Dad decides to get my mom's car to pull my car out- Amy asks if the truck would be better only to learn that the truck is hooked up to the slaughter trailer. Okay. Dad backs mom's car down the dark windy road and almost hits a tree of his own. We hook the chain on the back of my car and don't seem to find a good place to hook it on my mom's car. Hey, just loop it over the thingy and around that dohicky and we'll be fine. "Do you think this is a good idea?" Amy asks. Getting no response from my dad we both know it is just time to go along with what he is doing. I say I am done being in the driver's seat so Amy now takes her turn. We get all ready- pull the slack out and what do you know- a part falls off my mom's car instead of my car coming out of the ditch. We get the part attatched again and decide that maybe this might be a better project for the daylight.

At 6 am the sun has not come up yet- it is not daylight, but it is time to deal with the car. What do you know- we do decide to use the truck but we do not decide to unhook the slaughter trailer. so here we are on our little, narrow, windy road with the truck hooked up to the slaugher trailer hooked up to the toe rope hooked up to my little car. This is where I was wishing I had my camera. Not only do we pull the car out like this (and so quickly with little trouble I might add) but we continue to drive it like this right onto the highway and down to the guys house where it is going to get a little TLC. No worries she is now home and ready to go where ever I want her to take me. Only this time I will stick to the real roads and not try to make any new ones of my own. I guess I was just missing the bumpy, terrible roads of Sierra Leone.

1 comment:

Wallestads said...

I love your stories, Christie! You look so happy with your nieces!!

Melissa