Thursday, June 10, 2010

Birthday Gift

I know, I know. It is almost 3 months after my birthday, but I still fell the desire to post about this great birthday gift I will never forget. The night of my birthday found Joe and I at the airport waiting for Amy Stepec and Karen Boland to fly in. Amy is one of my oldest and dearest friends- and Karen has become one of my newer (not New any more) dearest friends. Who wouldn't want to spend their birthday with two good friends from home. More than that though is that these two have both played a very vital role in me being here in Salone. Once again God used tragedy for good. Amy and Steve became friends with the Bolands shortly after moving to Iowa. The Bolands happened to be named Mark and Karen- hmmm-sounds a bit familiar. I remember Amers calling and telling me about this couple she met that remind her of my mom and dad- not just the names. Our house has always been open- seen somewhat as a free rest and snack stop on your way through. Since we live right on the main highway often times people will stop to use the bathroom and are welcome to look through the cupboards to find a snack if they need as well. We love that Amy took advantage of this from time to time (and knew exactly which cupboards to look in). She said that this Mark and Karen made her feel just as welcome.
Unfortunately the first time I spent any real time with Karen was when she drove Amy and Steve up to Cook after Amy's Mom and sister were killed in a car accident. Amy and I talked a few times as she was packing and then as they were making the trip up. She would explain how Karen was helping them through- even stopping to buy some fun shoes at Target, lightening the drive a bit. By the time they got here and I really met Karen I already felt as though we had already spent time together. That only continued over the next few weeks.
We were all able to spend some time together at the lake in the following weeks. I remember sitting on the pontoon talking about Africa with Karen and Amy. Karen and Mark had each been to Sierra Leone at that time and were also planning trips to return. At one point Karen said, "Next summer we will be visiting you in Sierra Leone."
To make what could be a very long (and emotional for me) story shorter- God used this time to connect me with this place and these people here in Sierra Leone. Steve and I came (along with Jordyn- Karen and Mark's daughter) together on our first trip here in 2006 and yet again this past June the three of us were here together again. Amy watched as Steve came two times- the Bolands came numerous times and other friends and my family had come- now it was finally her turn. I cannot tell you how much it meant to me to have my closest friend/sister come to meet my friends and family here, but more than that to be able to have her here and say thank you for opening this door in my life... Without my friendship with Amy I wouldn't have met these people here, found a new home, or have all my children who have become so dear to my heart. She is a blessing in my life in so many ways- this is just one of them.
You can imagine the fun we three girls created during their one week here. We had some pretty emotional experiences along with fits of laughter and of course not much sleep. There was no better way to end their trip than to have a little time at the beach. Joe and JK were able to come with us- I think we needed them to keep us on track.
In honor of Jordyn we had to have a vimto- it is a grape soft drink. Some people just love it but to me it tastes a bit like grape medicine (and the last two events I was invited to they served me vimto while the people next to me had fanta and coke...). Jordyn is one of those who likes the vimto. In June of this year when their team was getting ready to leave after a long two weeks with lots of tired people, we decided to try this new restaurant (well new to us- and Joe and I were the ones who decided to take everyone here). It took FOREVER to get the waitress to come over. By that point we wanted to order food and drinks at the same time. After much debate we decided to go along with what she wanted and order just drinks. The time came for Jordyn to order and she said, "Vimto" "Can or Bottle?" the waitress asked. "I don't care." "Can or Bottle?" the waitress said again. "Either one." "CAN or BOTTLE?" She asked with a bit of irritation so Jordyn replies, "Can" "We don't have the can only the bottle" the waitress responds. OH MY WORD!!! Of course at that point I break out laughing- why even ask then, and she made such a big deal about it. Anyway- Jordyn we (some of us) had bottles of vimto for you.

No comments: