Friday, June 18, 2010

7 suitcases 6 people 1 small jeep

Mom promised so I have to follow through and post the photos of the jeep. Unfortunately we did lose one suitcase (and with all our calls and contact with the airline I am not sure we will ever get it back) but everyone arrived safely and in good moods. We first had to load into two taxis (one with the luggage and our friend Rainny and JK and the other with us Olson girls) and head to the ferry. We met some new friends on the ride over to Freetown and Grandma even fell asleep (though she will tell you she was just resting her eyes). After reaching the other side and getting all our luggage to the jeep we started loading it on top. Good thing I have been to the ferry many times and have some friends who were waiting to help us. All luggage on top and for a short time 7 of us in the jeep we headed out of the parking lot. We dropped Rainny off at the top and he headed back into Freetown while we started the 150 mile trek to Bo. It was just after 11pm when we started our journey. I have to say the trip went pretty well. The jeep did fine and we had no trouble at all. The pringles I happened to find at the Supermarket when we left Bo were a big hit in the car, but after a bit of water and a lot of talking it was time to stop for a bathroom break. With no 24hr Holiday stations the bush on the side of the road was the 1st class restrooms we used. We were still so excited about our little jeep and all our stuff that as we got in we decided that some more photos were needed. This is when we got into a bit of trouble.
Somehow at this point I (Christie) lost my purse. Unfortunately we didn't realize this until we got all the way to Bo (another hour and some from this point). Of course I had a lot of what I needed in this bag and it is usually ATTATCHED to me. The kids make fun of me because I am always wearing it and checking for it. Thank the Lord that I had taken my camera out and my passport is at immigration because I had to get my resident card renewed. I did lose my ipod, drivers and international drivers licenses, my bank card for here and there, a good chunk of money and of course the little things- one of my favorite shirts, my favorite hair tie, the handy little tool my dad gave me, my grandpas pen, oh and so many other things I like to stuff in there.
So after a long day I quickly tried to get my family into the hut- had Amy show them around and JK and I took off back to Mile 91- where we knew it went missing. (No all fuel stations are closed and I just happened to have a five gallon jug of fuel that we turned into the vehicle). We prayed before leaving and JK prayed for our safety, that we would find the bag, and that we would be okay either way. I am sad to say that we did not find the bag. I did lose it all, but God has been working on the part that I would be okay either way. I thank him that it is my family that is here now as I know with all that is in me they will take GOOD care of me. I have had a sick stomach a few times but I have been able to set it aside to have a good time with my family and not be too worried about it. We are all here safe and sound and having a great time together. We'll be able to get passed this. (Though JK did let me know it was alright to be upset about it and let me have my moment- thank you for that too)
So I have interrupted my scheduled posts to give you a little update on our family girls trip. We are loving being together and of course laughing and yes even crying a little as well. Tomorrow we head out to a village for one night and I am going to love showing them that part of Sierra Leone. Our friends Rainny, Abu and JK will be traveling with us. Pray for not only safe travels but also good health and energy for us (especially mom and grandma).
Speaking of mom and grandma they are both doing well and Grandma is a BIG HIT! Everyone just loves her and are so amazed at how strong she is and the way she gets around. I am proud of all my family and have loved showing them off and introducing them to my friends and family here.
Alright- everyone has gone to bed and I should get there too. So we'll update more later. Thanks again for all your prayers, encouragement, donations and more. We are all in this together. I LOVE THAT!!!


No comments: