Sunday, December 6, 2009

Arriving Home

We left Sierra Leone LATE the night of November 3. Before we even got on the plane it already felt like a long trip. We left Bo around 10 and were lucky to be able to catch a ride to Freetown with a friend in a nice vehicle. However we arrived at the ferry just a little too late for the 2pm ferry and had to sit at the docks for 4 hours. We then headed over to Lungi only to have to wait until 11:45pm for our flight to finally take off. This was JK's first flight ever. I am sorry to say he doesn't like flying. We left in the dark and in a city without much light so it wasn't to exciting to look out the window and then we landed in London in the dark and fog again so... What he remembers is the ear popping and turbulence. The airports were a lot of fun- but we could have gotten by with less than 6 hours in London. I loved seeing things trough JK's eyes. The bathrooms, escalators, moving sidewalks, everything was new and I have to admit I loved it all too. Arriving in Minneapolis, I felt such joy and peace. It was so nice to be home again. We came around the corner to see my mom holding a large picture of Amy on a stick- she came to meet us as well. It was a great hug I got from mom. Even though it was 60 degrees outside we still put our coats on before heading out. The first few days were spent at Mike and Lor's with the girls. I enjoyed this transition into things. Being with Sophie and Isabelle is one of my favorite things and it also gave us a chance to do things but yet not have a ton of people asking for our time- we needed to get our bodies adjusted to being here. Kari came over the morning after we landed. She was able to spend a good portion of the day with us as well as come back on Saturday for our day of fun (more in a later post)

I'm so happy to be home. It was hard to say goodbye and leave the kids and staff- but I AM LOVING being with my family and friends. I really miss them when gone. It also has another element being here with JK. Everything is new again- technology, places, food- oh how I love the food.

(Stay tuned- this time I promise there are more posts to come- we had a busy 6 weeks I need to catch you all up on)

No comments: