Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Twin Cities

Nothing like heading downtown for the first time. It was fun to just park and walk around Minneapolis for a time- then of course we had to hit the big Target to get a couple things we needed as well. I to enjoy walking around the big buildings and just people watching as well. This was a BIG change from Freetown. There are 3 million people who live in Freetown- it is a Large city- and yet it is not developed like our cities here. I know many say it is too busy, traffic is crazy, I don't drive there- but it is SO much more organized than what we are used to. After spending some time in Minneapolis we headed over to St. Paul to visit our friends Sarah and get a tour of St. Thomas. Sarah has been to Sierra Leone a few times, and was just there with us this past May and June. I know that the first few days were really an adjustment to JK and it was fun to go see someone he already knew. Walking around campus and seeing a University here was good. It was also nice to be moving around after spending so many hours just sitting on the planes and in the airports.St. Thomas is a beautiful campus. Not quite the same as Njala University where JK attended. I would have to say that one of our favorite things was seeing this Pipe Organ. We were lucky enough to have someone come in who played while we were there. Listening to this beautiful instrument... it was something we never expected and something we will remember fondly.After our tour we headed back to Sarah's for lunch and then walked down to the Mississippi River. I miss water. We have the ocean but it just is not the same as our lakes and rivers. I loved just walking near it and being able to share it with JK. Over the course of our time here I mentioned many times that we were near or crossing the Mississippi- you forget how it is everywhere. Sarah also took us to the delicious little ice cream place. JK has heard me talk about ice cream forever and just thought I was crazy. Now he is sitting here trying to think of any way possible that we could bring ice cream back with us.That night we headed over to Pete and Alyssa's for some fun. One of the things I missed most while being gone was attending their wedding. It was a day that was hard for me to be away. Pete is my oldest, best, childhood friend. I love him like my brother and always will think of him like no other. I have also loved Alyssa. She came into Pete's life and has truly made it better- mine too. There is no hug like a hug from Pete- and that was the welcome home I really wanted.Had to get in a few rounds of Rock Band. It was fun to JK in the mix. It is a bit harder to play by ear when the keys are colors and the songs are ones you've never heard before- but still provides a lot of laughter.Again I cannot say enough how much I love these two (well three I guess). Thanks for a fun night. I wish there could be more.

No comments: