Friday, December 18, 2009

Hunting

What would it be like to come to the Northland during Hunting Season and not get in a little hunting of your own? Good thing JK didn't have to find out. Nick and JK connected right away. I thought I would have some extra hands in the shop- but JK spent a few days helping Nick work on Amy's garage- Dad's apt. (no he is not moving there :)-used some power tools- went target practicing and of course a little deer hunting. There were MANY layers put on and some shorter times spent in the stand but after 3 days Nick had to head back to Duluth. Our buddy Kyler volunteered to take JK out for the last time about an hour after Nick left for Duluth. Within less than an hour I get a call from Nick letting me know JK got a deer- what??? Right after shooting it he called Nick- before even walking out to the deer. A few moments later JK called me and Amers and I headed over to the farm to check it all out.It may have just been a spiker but it was his first deer and a good one at that. When I asked JK on the phone what kind of deer he got- he told me a stupid one. What? "Well I shot five times and he was still there- got him with my sixth and final shot". Nick gave him 6 bullets and the part Jk remembered was shoot him in the head. They were a ways off and aiming for the head wasn't as easy as target practicing. Kyler finally asked JK how many times he had shot "5" and how many bullets do you have "6"- that last shot took some time, but it was worth it. My dad says that God must have been holding that deer there for JK.Hunter and Guide.
Not only did JK bring home the meat but he cooked it too. He used it to make us an African meal- Pepper Soup. It was spicy but good- and the first meal JK has ever cooked for me. Our friend Meghan was able to join us on the perfect night. She is coming over to Salone with Amy and needed a small introduction into the fine cuisine. What a fun day filled with some good memories and stories to share.

No comments: