Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Finally- I am off...

At 8 am tomorrow morning I will meet John and Jane in Cook to finally start this journey. We will meet Amy in Cloquet and head to the cities to meet up with more family for lunch before I head to the airport and catch a flight to Freetown, Sierra Leone (via Chicago and London). I am packed and ready and I can honestly say that I am not too nervous. I am sure tomorrow I will have some butterflies and some uncertainty and yet I have been looking forward to this for so long...

Having said all of this- it seems a bit unrealistic that Thursday I will be in Africa. Maybe that is why I am not nervous- because it doesn't seem completly real. Either way the time has come and it is happening.

Last night my mom braided the front of my hair. The kids love it and it will be fun to head over with a bit of African style. It also helps with not having wild hair while traveling for 24 hours. My clothes are laid out. Everything in my room here is packed away. After I finish this post I will pack away my laptop in my carry-on and I will be all set to go- ready or not.

I am so grateful for all of you. I wish everyone could be so encouraged in what they are doing in their lives. I couldn't do this without you and I look forward to sharing it with you as I go.

I'll update again as soon as I can- who knows how easy and when that'll be. I do have high hopes.

I'll miss you so make sure and let me know what is going on with all of you as well.

God Bless

1 comment:

Wallestads said...

Christie,

Wow! By the time you read this, you'll probably be in Africa.

I admire your strength, courage, and faith. It takes a special person to do the type of work you are doing, and I am proud to call you my friend.

Know that we'll be keeping tabs on your journey via your blog, and rest assured that I'll keep you updated on things around here!

You're a special soul, Christie Shermer. You have given so much of yourself to so many already, and this trip will give you the chance to touch countless lives--even those of us who get to "experience" it through your blog will benefit.

Much love and many prayers,
Melissa