Wednesday, April 16, 2008

World's Best Trip So Far

I cannot believe how easy this trip has been so far. Most everyone asked if I was nervous or scared to travel by myself and that is one thing that I have not been nervous about. However in the last week I have been very nervous about checking my luggage.  You see I did pack more than I should.  United Airlines limit is 51lbs but British Airways is 70lbs. I was only flying on United from MSP to Chicago and then I will be on British Airways all the way to Freetown. So in my thinking I decided that I would pay the extra $ for the overweight bag and have what I needed (or want) for the next 6 months.  As I was weighing my suitcases though I was right at that limit and with all scales being different I wasn't sure what would happen when I go there and I still was excited about the extra cost.  Also knowing me you know how I hate confrontations and  have been picturing some crabby person not being to happy with me as I check in.  Well today rolls around and I lug my heavy suitcases up to the check-in desk and meet the world's nicest attendant.  He first asks me how to pronounce where I am going and proceeds to ask me about my trip. As we talk he decides that I need to be on an earlier flight out of MSP so that there is no chance of missing my flight to London. Then as we weigh my suitcases they end up being 70.5 and 71lbs- my big fear. He says "oh that's no problem- 6 months is a long time" That is exactly what I have been saying. As he puts the heavy tags on my bags he then tells me that he needs to go on his break now so he will not be able to charge me for the excess weight. "Have a great time and thanks for doing what you are doing," He says.  Wow if you only knew how much time I spent worrying about that part of this journey. God is good and knows just what I need and gives me WAY MORE! I couldn't help but smile all the way to Chicago and as soon as I arrived I had to get on Skype and call my family to let them know.

Before I left a group of my family and I met at TGIFridays near the airport for lunch.  What a great way to leave. We took a couple pictures- so here is the first look at this trip starting in my home state.                   PICT0259

My grandma Shirley, Uncle Dean, Uncle Mike, Aunt Lorie, cousins Sophie, Isabelle, Jackie, Samuel, Madalyn, Benjamin, and My lovely sisters Kari and Amy.  How blessed am I?!?!

PICT0258

Sophie and Isabelle- the two girls who started my whole nanny career. These two are near and dear to my heart- I love them and will miss them tons.

PICT0260

A lady Amy works with- Barb- made us these hats for while we are over in Africa. How sweet of her. She has been so good to Amy and in turn to me as well over the last year and a half or more. I didn't know how handy this hat would be as I had packed my other one and was wishing I hadn't when my hair decided to grow a little bigger with frizz before even starting the next 23 hours of traveling.  Thanks Barb- I love it! (Sophie took the photo- nice job)

Well in about a 30 minutes I'll board the plane for London- so that means I need to get some water and hit the restrooms-I know thanks for sharing that last part.

I hope to be posting soon after arriving. Thanks again for your prayers- God is answering them already!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm glad your trip started out so well. What an answer to prayer! We will be praying for you lots while you're there!

Anonymous said...

See Ceek, there are angels everywhere :) It's neat to see how God answers our prayers! Just want you to know how you were an answer to mine these last few months...Love ya!! Pam

Anonymous said...

See....not everyone at the ticket counter is out to get the passengers. Actually, most agents will go out of their way to help you out- if you start out nice to begin with (I've been doing it 6 years now). Anyway, glad everything is going well so far. I've been thinking about you a lot lately and trying to keep an eye on your blogs. Good luck with the rest of the trip and enjoy your next 6 months! The time will go by so fast.

Tracey Dunn

Anonymous said...

Hey Christie,
Really nice to talk to you today! Glad you arrived safely in Sweet Salone! Take care of Joe for me :) Praying for you, love, kayla.

Anonymous said...

Hey Christie,
Achille and I are praying for you in Africa! May God bless your work while you are there and beyond!
Love and hugs,
Amanda Dago (a.k.a. Mandi Vogt) :)