Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I HAVE INTERNET

It has finally happened and now I am the proud owner of a tigo modem that gives me internet any time I want. However being that I am still in Africa it doesn't mean that I can use it anytime I want. We do not have electricity at the orphanage so that means I can use the internet as long as my computer battery is charged. It is nice that many of the staff have electricity at their houses now so I can send it with them in the evenings and sometimes I am even lucky enough to be able to go to the compound next door called HANCI. They have electricity there sometimes and are kind enough to let me sit on their porch and use my computer. I hope to be able to be in communication a lot more.

The crazy thing about this internet is that it was given to me. After all my complaining and trying to be patient- it all worked out much better than I could have imagined. Last week Joe went to Freetown and was going to get a celtel modem and was told that they wouldn't have one for at least 2 weeks. Another thing to put off getting the internet. I should have known though that being patient is really the best thing. This past Saturday we were playing a football game with another orphanage here in Bo. As we were watching the game I started talking with one of the people from that orphanage and it turns out he is actually a Pastor from England, Julian Khan. His parents were from Sierra Leone but he was born and raised in England. He has been in Salone for 8 months. I really enjoyed talking with him and had a great night. We started talking about internet and connection to the rest of the world when he told me that he had a modem for me. It turns out he was leaving the next day to go back to England and his internet was paid through the end of August. I guess it really was worth waiting for. Now I not only don't have to buy the modem but also have internet 24 hours a day until September. God is good.

I hope to be able to keep you all a bit more involved in my time here. I want to share more photos and stories and here from all of you as well. Thank you for all your prayers and support. I am feeling much better in terms of the Malaria, only now i have a full blown cold. The kids all have them now and I think with my immune system being a bit compromized fighting off all my other problems it couldn't resist the cold. Oh well it is a minor thing.

You can be in prayer for the coming local elections this Saturday. It is getting a little tense around here. People say it is more tense than the national elections last summer. I am not worried and feel completely safe, so far it has been fine, but prayer is always good and I hope it stays that way.

I look forward to writing more soon.

No comments: