Friday, July 25, 2008

Marion and I

First- I am feeling MUCH better. It did take a few more really difficult days but now I am back to normal and am able to fully be a part of things here again. I noticed how much community I have built when I finally walked down the road again on Monday and it took me forever to get to the end because everyone came out to say hi and see where I have been or how I am doing.

I wanted to start introducing you to some of these kids that have become my family. I never thought I would have 75 kids. I think I will start with one of the little girls and one of the older girls.

This is little Mabel- we have two. She is my buddy Patrick's older sister. She has some fire in her, she knows what she thinks and is not afraid to share it. She's smart and likes to make fun- she might get my sense of humor more than some of the older kids. She is also a little mother and takes such good care of her little brother. She loves to sing and dance and has the greatest laugh.

This is my sometimes roommate Marion. She is one of the junior staff and is very good at it. She has a lot of responsibilities and handles them well. Marion also will graduate in December from a program at HANCI where she has learned to do tye-dying, soap making, and many other skills in which she will be able to support herself very well. She is great at it and has made and sold many pieces already. She has started teaching me and I have finished sewing and tying my fabric now I am waiting to dye it and see if it turns out alright. It is a LOT different than our tye-dying. We also have had many great conversations. Marion has been with JCC since they first moved here to Bo. She lived in a house with just 10 kids. We were out for dinner together one night when I asked her whether she missed having just a small group. Did she like it better with less kids or more kids? She looks at me completely serious and says, "Christie, God tells us to take care of each other, especially the orphans, so that is what we need to do." and she goes back to eating. She wasn't just saying it because it was the answer she thought I wanted to hear, she truly means it and lives it.
I wanted to also mention my hair in this photo. I wish there was a way you could really see it. My friend Lily Kainwo did it and I love it. There is a great design that you are not able to see in this photo. It is not as easy to plant (braid) pumoi hair as it is everyone's hair here, so I appreciate it so much when someone takes the time to do it for me. Lily, her sister's Nancy, and my friend James- their brother- took good care of me while I was sick. I went to their house to rest a couple times, since it was the only time I didn't have kids coming to my door all the time. Lily's food was also the only food I while sick. I have come to love this family- along with their sister Theresa and mom Margaret. They have been so kind to take me in like one of their own. I didn't realize how much I missed spending time in a house (not a HUGE house with many rooms and MANY people) and with a group of grown siblings. I'm so blessed to love spending time with my own brother and sisters and miss them dearly so this was a good way to feel a bit like it is when we hang out together.
I need to close now, but I will tell you that my friend Marion just came down to the barri (where I am sitting) wearing a Vikings shirt, so I may have to amend what I wrote above. I am not sure how much longer our friendship is going to last.

No comments: