Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Today four of the older boys and I headed back out to the farm to help on some of the projects my dad had started. Our main reason for heading out was to set up the insulators and get the solar electric fence working as the final things we needed were in a bag that arrived long after my dad had arrived back in the states. What a fun surprise it was for me to see that all the fence post were signed by family and friends in Cook. I loved it and I loved being able to share with Harry and Haja at the farm just who these people were- I did tell them they were people from my village as they seem to understand that better than saying the town I grew up in. Thank you all for doing that. There was one fence post that especially touched my heart. As we were pulling them out of the bag I saw one that had Gus and Barb Lindgren's names on it. What a special reminder of all the ways they have touched and supported so many others, it is hard to think that I will not be able to give Barb a big hug when I get home, but I will carry so many memories of the times we have spent together; and now her name is on a post in Sierra Leone, Africa and will remain there for some time to come.














We were able to get the fence hooked up and even spent some time getting shocked and then shocking each other. I asked Joseph to hold my hand and then I grabbed the fence- he got shocked. I explained that it would go through each person to the last one and they would feel the shock. Well we lined up again, Joseph first, then me, and then Mohamed Allieu. Joseph grabs the fence and once again he gets shocked. Not sure what happened, all I know is that I didn't get shocked so...
Harry and the Solar Fencer
Harry, Barjohn, and Mohamed Allieu and our nice fence. Good work Dad, Kari, and Amy.
After finishing work, we went to check out the pig and her little ones. I caused a bit of a raucous when I said I wanted to hold one- the mother was of course upset and I told them I didn't need to hold one but we didn't stop until we had a little one. It was fun and little Alice- Harry and Haja's daughter was able to hold the piglet as well.
Another sweet part of going to the farm is being able to take back some of the harvest. Today we got a watermelon and some cucumbers. In the past we have had bananas, peanuts, benny seed, and a few other African plants. However today was the first watermelon I have had here in Salone and it was delicious. The only problem was we cut it here at the home so one watermelon does not go far when you sharing it with 80 other people- we each got a bite and I do have to say that those of us who went to the farm each got a larger slice- hey we did the work. Joseph and the watermelon.
Our crew today. From Left to right- Barjohn, Mohamed Abu, me, Joseph, Harry, Simeon, and Mohamed Allieu. We drove African Style to the farm as we had the jeep with 6 of us in it driving on the nice super highways we have here. We did just fine and I think that I am becoming quite good and finding the smoothest path around all the pot-holes. You would be impressed dad- almost as good as the time you drove the white van with angel's wings for tires.
Harry's (if you didn't know- he is the farmer) wife Haja has become one of my favorite people here. I love to go visit her and she is always teaching me something new. She will only speak to me in Mende so that I will learn faster and it is working. I look forward to every day we get to spend together.
All in all it was a great day at the farm. We accomplished what we wanted to and even got back to Jonathan House in time for lunch- which isn't until 2. It was even Potato leaf which is one of my favorite dishes here- well if you can say that you like green sauce with fish heads on top of rice. (don't worry I leave that part for the kids)
I finished my assignment Dad.





No comments: