Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Jessica, Joe, and me

When I first arrived at Jonathan House, Jessica was not my biggest fan. She didn't dislike me, but she also would have rather been held by anyone else who was standing near us. At some point all that changed and now she is my shadow. She runs around yelling "mommy ittie, mommy ittie". We spend a lot of time together and I learned very quickly that in order to get much done this was the best way for us to be together.

Jess is starting to talk a lot, she is running around and even mostly potty trained. The sweetest thing is when she is singing and dancing right along with the older kids. If you say "Praise the Lord" she will yell in her little voice "halleluia". Now when I am holding her she will go to no one else and if she sees me even all the way across the compound she will yell and come. I am happy we are now friends- even if I had to bribe her with food that first month.


I also wanted to let you all know that the work on the new school has begun- I have had trouble with the uploading the first post about it but will get it on soon. For now I just wanted to show you all who is doing the work. Joe is in the man in charge of the construction and he wanted you all to know that he is working so he had me take this photo of him to prove it. We need the trench for the foundation to be 3 ft deep.

I won't say much but you can see who is doing the heavy labor- must be rough to be in charge. :) Love ya Joe

I carried my portion of 15 bricks and then helped some of the kids with theirs. I do enjoy helping and just so you know- I do not usually do this work in a skirt, in fact I hardly ever wear one it just seems the last two photos were taken on the same day. I am still a fan of trousers as they call them here.

1 comment:

Laura B. said...

Jessica is so so adorable!!! What a sweetie. And how exciting that the school is started!
I hope you're feeling better -