Sunday, March 8, 2009

Pete and Alyssa

I'm not sure I can explain the friendship I have with Pete. We grew up as close to next door to each other as you can in the country. I remember walking down the highway in my PJs headed to his house. When I was in 5th or 6th grade I was going to have one of my first all girl sleepover birthday parties. A few hours into it I was on the phone calling Pete and it became my first almost all girl sleepover. Almost every weekend throughout high school you could find us back at my house after whatever game, event or activity we had gone to, moving both couches into the family room so we could watch movies. Most of the time we were joined by Holly. I remember one particular night when we had chosen a somewhat scary movie. One thing Pete has never liked is scary children- give him anything else, but a possessed child chasing you... I look over to see Pete on his couch, me on mine and Holly out of her lazy-boy and sitting right between our couches curled up, Pete not too far from her with the pillow pulled up all but covering his face. I'm not sure how many scary movies we watched after that.

Since we had ESPN and Pete did not I remember plenty of nights where I would head to bed with Pete still sitting there watching the same Sports Center (for the 3rd or 4th time). He would let himself out when he was ready to go. He got me hooked on many things and vice versa. I am now a big Duke fan all because of Pete. The one thing we never did come together on was the Packers and Vikings.

We headed of to college "together". We were both at UMD and though we did make our own friends and find our own way, I cannot tell you how many times those first few months/years I would call Pete to come with me to something new. I went to a few things with him, but I am sure those were all good times (Maybe not that jazz band concert thing- the salsa one though...). I know some of the events I dragged him to were really not his thing, but come with me he did.

I guess I could go on and on and I am not even sure why I am doing this except that we were able to spend part of the day together last week and I have really missed him. I love him in a way I do few others. He's been my brother/best friend.



A few years ago Pete met Alyssa. Now I have been through a few girls with Pete- some way better than others. None have come close to Alyssa. I think she is great and even more so great for Pete. I love her. Because of where we live now and life just moving on, we haven't been able to spend as much time together but every time we do I like her even more. Recently Pete asked her to marry him and she said yes. I am beyond thrilled. We were all able to go to lunch together and I love hearing about the wedding plans- though I'm completely bummed to know I will not be here for it. This is the hardest one to miss but I'll get some of the kids to dance with me and party that night- and maybe shed a few tears to not be with my friend on his big day.



We got a couple photos together- however I remember as Pete was taking this photo of Alyssa and I that he said "cheese" and I repeated him by saying "cheese" but while saying it I was thinking 'what am I saying cheese for, how ridiculous is that and as I am saying cheese I am not smiling nor looking normal. I want a good photo with Alyssa and here I am saying cheese' Yes I did think all that and more in the half-second it took Pete to snap the picture and you can see it all in my face. I didn't even know my eyebrows did that. However Alyssa is beautiful and I will keep this photo of myself because of her. The obvious picture I should have taken was of Pete and Alyssa together- but I guess this was one of my selfish days and I didn't even think of it until Alyssa was back at work. They do look great together-and the ring is perfect.
Love you both!

1 comment:

April said...

I am laughing out loud, picturing you saying "CHEESE"... you do have that
what-am-I-saying-face
Looks like a great visit with great friends...I am glad you got to see them.
Oh- and happy early bday-
love you, Christie!