Friday, March 27, 2009

Things in the road

Yesterday I was headed to a family friends house on the back roads. It is not at all unusual to see deer on the road (maybe more unusual to make it without seeing one)- however this time I came over the hill to find a deer in the road and instead of running off one side or another he proceeded to zig-zag down the road for a good half a mile or more. I couldn't believe how far he went. All I could do was drive slowly behind until he decided he found the right path to head back into the woods. It reminded me of a few weeks ago when I went to visit my good friend Venessa.

I had gone down to help Venessa paint in their new house. We ran out of paint and needed to head into town to get some more (along with some Diet Coke of course). On the way back home we find a large garbage truck stopped in the road in front of us (with no trash cans in sight). We try to look around him and see a few cars along with a police car or two. Great. Finally a police officer comes back to our car to let us know that a helicopter will be landing on the road so it could be some time. Sure enough just as we start turning around to find a different route home the helicopter comes out of the sky and lands right on the road. Later that same night we went out for a late dinner together. The night was dark. the moon blocked by some clouds with very few stars we were able to see. Again we come up on some flashing lights only this time the officer comes up to us and asks us to pull off the road into this driveway. Good thing it was one of those long country driveways as by the time we were done there were 4 of us parked in there. Without our headlights we couldn't see a thing in the darkness so we had no clue what was ahead of us. All of a sudden out of nowhere there was a complete HOUSE on the road. We couldn't see it until it was RIGHT THERE. I kept saying to Venessa- "do you see it, it's a HOUSE- a house right there." It wasn't one of those prebuilt homes- it was a HOUSE (little half front porch and all) and it covered the whole road, the shoulders, and then some. Since it could only travel 4-6 miles an hour (I don't know the exact speed limit on a traveling house) it took a little while to go the 2 blocks we needed to be able to get out of our driveway line-up. We finally made it home and decided we had better stay in for the rest of the night. I'm not sure we could handle whatever our next road block would have been.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a drunk deer reminding you to think of me! And for the record I have not seen any heilcopters or houses since you left. We bring out all of the big stuff when you come to visit.

I'm off to make more decisions...backsplash tile is on my agenda for the afternoon.

Venessa