Thursday, May 21, 2009

Busy Day in Freetown

Today started off by spending a lazy morning in bed- sleeping in and hanging out at the guest house for a bit. Joe, JK and I headed out to the Immigration office (where we found out it would be best for me to get a residence card- I guess I am truly residing in Salone) and then to this little hidden restaurant for some great Joloff rice. After lunch we returned to the Guest House to get my camera and headed off to Suzanne Bay (not sure on the spelling but...) It is one of the worst slums in Sierra Leone. It is just unimaginable to me that people actually live here. I know we see it on TV and of course in the movies like Slumdog, but to actually walk through it... I guess the pictures can say a whole lot more than me.

(Okay I guess no picture today- I have tried to upload even one for the last hour and it has not worked today so I wil try to get them on here soon) UPDATE: here is one photo to get a glimpse I will try to add more as time comes- MAYBE.


After this it was a bit needed to return to our rooms for a little break- both physically and emotionally. While resting I received a call that some friends were here to visit- Lily was back with her sister Theresa, their friends Musa and our friend Jawara. It was great to see them and it turns out we'll all travel to BO together early tomorrow morning. Soon after Joe, JK, Paul, and I headed to the Beach- yeah!!! We were able to walk the shoreline (I did manage to get my pants pretty much soaked so I should have just gone swimming) just as the evening was getting dark. We have now just come in for the night after walking around here a bit and getting some good spicy food for dinner on the street- (don't worry about me- we are getting food from good places and I do have the Shermer iron stomach- AND some good meds if needed). I am a bit exhausted and looking forward to sleeping- and then of course getting to see all my kids and friends in Bo tomorrow. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Holly said...

So glad you were able to post right away. Everything sounds like fun. Glad you got to go to the beach! Thinking about you...and missing you too :)

Love ya!