Monday, May 18, 2009

Last Weekend Home

So today I am home with Mom and Amy and we are trying to get all my things packed and ready to go. First (or really in the middle of it all- I need a break from packing) I wanted to fill everyone in on my last weekend home as well as let you all know that I am leaving. My flight is tomorrow night (Tuesday) and I will arrive in Freetown about 2:30pm our time Wednesday. Please pray I get there safely as does my luggage- also pray for the goodbyes at the airport with my family. That is not going to be easy.

My weekend may have started a little early with a trip to Grand Rapids to meet my friend Sara from college. We hadn't seen each other in some time and it was really nice to just sit and catch up a bit. Bren came to Virginia on Friday to meet for lunch and a good walk. We managed to have some great laughs like usual over the silliest things. I think that these are some of the things I miss most when I am gone- going for a walk with a good friend. Friday evening we had a birthday dinner for Amy (complete with DQ ice cream cake) and then a Shermer Family Game night with the extended family. No shortage of food, noise, or laughter. It meant a lot to be able to see so many family members before leaving.

The Shermer kids decided for our last adventure together we would go rock climbing. So we left EARLY Saturday morning and headed past Ely and hiked in to this beautiful location. Tim and Bruce came along with their equipment and knowledge and we all made it back safely. I have to admit that though I really wanted to do it I was a bit TERRIFIED. The bummer was that with SNOW on the ground- yes it is mid May but...- we were not able to do the climbing so much as the rocks were a bit slippery- however we were able to repel down. Amy and Nick were the two to help me. I had to tell them that though I trusted Nick's strength I trusted Amy's knowledge a lot more (as she has done this a few times and it was the first for the rest of us). The two of them did great and it only took me a matter of minutes to get myself over the ledge. What a tangible way to learn about trust and faith as well as a great bonding experience for all of us.
I guess it is a bit hard to see me in the picture below but I am up between the two trees. It was quite high- Tim brought along this measuring thing and learned it was 78 ft. No wonder my stomach dropped a little as I thought about doing this.
I had to leave a little early so I could make it to April's baby shower. I am so thankful it was before I left. Erin did a great job with it all and it was a perfect time with the girls. Amy, Jack, and Henry were also able to come up for the weekend to surprise Ape and also give me one more chance to spend some time with them. I know that they are not coming to Salone in June along with Steve- but having him come makes me feel like I will see them again. Of course we were able to fit in a run to Moosebirds on Sunday for one last REALLY GOOD ice cream cone.

Sunday morning my family and I all wore our African clothes to church. During the service we had a little Commissioning time that really meant a lot to me. Then of course it was home to take all kinds of photos. I had just enough Garri (an African food I brought back with me) to make Acheke for the whole family. It is one of the African dishes that all seem to like and is not too scary for us Americans to try. I LOVE IT.
It was such a fun weekend with the family. That everyone was able to come home for all of it was special and I know we laughed a ton. It was also kind of a nice was to transition into African ways by being able to share it with my family. I love being a Shermer and love spending time with my family. It is hard to not be able to do that for the next year, but I know our love and connections are STRONG and DEEP.Both Grandma's were able to join us for the day. We are so blessed with the examples they are to each of us- in their Faith especially. What a legacy we are a part of.
And of course my sweet nieces. They really were the cutest in their African dress. They definitely got the most comments at church.
All the Shermer kids together. Our clan is starting to grow. It'll be fun to see how many this photo holds in 5 years. (I guess that means Amy, Kari, and I had better get moving :))

After our lunch (and a really quick nap), Amy Stepec, Jack, Henry and I were able to go on one last GOOD walk together and get the previously mentioned ice cream before Amy Shermer and I headed over to Tim and Leah's. It was great just to sit around a talk about all the things each of us have coming up in the next year and of course eat some more food. When I roll onto the plane everyone will know why. :)
This last weekend was a blast- I have to admit at times it felt like I was running a marathon going from one thing to the next but I wouldn't have changed a thing. Thanks to everyone for being a part of it and fitting me into their schedules as well.
Honestly is seems crazy to think I will be in Africa on Wednesday. I don't think it will be real until I am there. I have so many emotions right now. I am excited and thrilled to see everyone there again- I have missed them all dearly- and yet to have to say goodbye to everyone here. That part really is not easy. Once again there will be tears at one airport and cheers at the next. That will probably never change. I guess I need to keep looking at how blessed I am to have such good friends and family in both places.
If you think of it over the next week- pray for me and my family. I know they love and support me in this and at the same time their hearts don't want to let me go. How blessed are we to love being together- it doesn't always happen that way- but we choose to spend a lot of time together- so choosing to leave them.... not done lightly. I also get to be the one to go somewhere, while they see the place where I am not. Pray that God would give them (as well as me) peace and comfort.
So everyone- here we go again. I am off.

5 comments:

poordum said...

Good luck...don't drink the water.

April said...

Christie- I am so glad I had the chance to spend some time with you on your last weekend home. I can't wait to email and hear all about what's going on! ;)
Love you!

Wallestads said...

Thanks for posting! We look forward to reading all about your work over the next year. Our prayer is that God will bless you and all those whose lives you touch. Know that you've got prayer partners here!

Blessings to you,
Melissa

Jamie Shermer said...

We love spending time with you Christie. The girls absolutely love the attention from the family up north. It will be so exciting to read about your adventures. We will miss you but we know that you are "home" and for that you are blessed and we are very proud.
Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Christie,
I enjoy "catchin' up" with you via your blog. I'm glad you are getting back into the groove of being "home". We miss seeing you with Amy... Deven and I got to see Amy's new house yesterday. It's really nice and we are anxious to help her get moved in.
I hope you are doing well and I look forward to your posts.
Take care - Love, Leah