Saturday, May 23, 2009

Home

After our journey yesterday it was so sweet to see Bo come into view as we pulled into town. We stopped at Joe's place on the way where a few of the older boys from the home are now staying- so fun to see them. We then headed to JK's to drop our traveling companians and to see my good friends Nancy, Auntie Margaret and others. Nancy had made ground-nut soup- one of my favorites so of course we had to have a quick bite to eat. Pst. Ibrahim reminded me we shouldn't stay long as there were many anxious kids waiting at home for me- I was anxious to see them as well.

As we had driven down the road to Nancy's some of the kids started seeing me in the vehicle and soon we heard shouts of "mommy Christie" with kids running from all over. Many of these kids attend our primary school and know me from Jonathan's House- and others know me from time spent in the community. It was really funny to hear them and other kids along the whole road to Jonathan's House. Word spread quickly and I had a few visitors last night.


Pst. Ibrahim had told the kids I would be coming in the white van- but since we had given up and that vehicle and had called for the bus to come get us- they didn't realize I was in it as we pulled into the compound. They continued to mill around until one of them realized I was here- they began shouting and running and I barely made it out of the vehicle before I was wrapped into many hugs- just the welcome to make me forget about the long journey.


If you have been reading my blog for awhile- you may remember my little buddy Patrick. Everyone calls him my son. Joe had told me that he has been asking often the past week when I am finally going to come. Well he was in the back when I got here so he came around the corner as we were all standing in a group just outside the vehicle. He looked over and just stopped. After staring for a moment he began smiling a smile that looked as though it would break his cheeks. I started to walk towards him and he laughed and ran away from me around the bus- then peaked to see if I was following. He started to run towards me but as soon as I took a step towards him to turned and ran away. I caught him and he was so excited he couldn't even talk. He was laughing but barely making a sound. It was so funny- everyone was laughing so hard. He kept pinching my cheeks and looking at me. So precious. Since then and into this morning he has been my shadow once again.

All the kids are great- some have grown so much in the past 7 months. We'll have plenty of time to catch up.

One other thing I need to mention quick is that I have a new home- The staff and some people from neighboring communities got together donating their year end bonuses, time, materials, and labor to help build a new hut. It is a round hut- 2 large bedrooms, a sitting room, and a bathroom with a cute little veranda on the front. This is going to be where I live. At the moment I will stay in my old room as we are going to have 16 or so people from the states here for the month of June. It will be a good place for them to stay and then I will move from my old room where I am now into there. What a huge gift and blessing. Something I never expected. It will be a ton of fun to set up my own little African house. That means I'll also have room for visitors- so if any of you want to come stay- the room is open. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU!! i know you are having fun over there and are excited to be over there but we miss you over here!!! LOVE YOU <3 love deven