Thursday, May 28, 2009

Roommate

Last night I went to the cinema in order to watch a football game. If any of you follow Soccer you will know that yesterday was the big "Superbowl" of the Champions League. Anyway I will fill you in more on that in another post as I have photos and want to explain what it is like to watch at the "cinema". Afterwards Pst. Ibrahim and I went to church in town because they have a big service this weekend and have events all week leading up to it. Last night was what they call the Singer's Fest. People come from all over and from within the church and sing for everyone. It was a great time- but we ended up staying a bit long as it was the first time I had been back to see everyone. It was so fun to have everyone greet me and get so many hugs. Even some of my little friends who were scared of me and cried at first the last time I was here- remembered me and came running and smiling. It was a great time- but it also made us a little later in getting home. Since I did not make arrangements (and have not moved into my hut yet) I had to wake Auntie Mary to let me in. So kind of her. As I was unlocking my door I could hear some noise inside. I tried to gather my strength and with my little keychain flashlight I opened the door and went inside. Something was inside my wardrobe. I could here it and even see the door moving slightly. Being the brave soul that I am- I took my keychaing flashlight and ran to Auntie Mary's room (well I walked quickly). She came and we opened the door- nothing, but we could see the evidence that a RAT had been there- some sawdust as well as some droppings he so kindly left. We knew he was in there but our hitting the wardrobe did nothing- so we started to take out all the clothes. Since I am planning on moving I have only hung a few things and the rest were in a pile- so we had to slowly take it all out and of course it was the last thing that many the rat run out- I jumped (but did not scream) and the rat ran to the other side of the room. We continued to chase it a bit when we heard ghost like noises in the hall. Jerry- one of the middle boys- had put his mosquito net over his head and was trying to scare me. Little did he know I now had a job for him. In moving everything around and all my jumping I think we managed to make a bit of noise and were soon joined by Sylvester and Bangalie. We managed to trap the rat behind the wardrobe once again- or so we thought. After much time over there we realized he was gone. We searched and searched but could not find him. I was trying to get up my courage to be able to just go to sleep without knowing where he was. Afterall I had been sharing my room with two large spiders for the past few days- but I felt like my net protected me from them- that rat could chew through my net in a second. Just as everyone was leaving Bangalie spotted the rat in my shower room- so being the good house mother that I am- I locked Bangalie and Sylvestor in the room with the rat and told them to kill it before they could come out. Jerry stood holding the door asking if it was dead. We soon heard them saying, "it de dead." Jerry goes to open the door and Bangalie shouts "It de alive- it de alive." "Close the door!" I shout. This time they killed it. We managed to make enough noise that Pst. Kutubu who stays on the other side of the building had just come to help- however our kids sleep so hard most of them had no idea.

Anway needless to say I was not very happy to share my room with that roommate and am so grateful I didn't have to.

1 comment:

Thompson's said...

Better you than me and I can't believe you didn't scream!