Monday, May 11, 2009

A few highlights over the past month or so

  • Shermer girls shopping trip to Duluth. We were able to head down together in order to get all the things I still needed to move to Africa for 1 yr. I had slowly been collecting things and had received quite a few items from people at church (THANK YOU) but still needed a good amount of things; so the extra hands (and wallets) helped a ton.

    Of course lunch at the Olive Garden was a nice treat for all.

    My niece Koryn- I think she might actually like me. :)

    Jamie, Amy, Koryn and I
    While the girls were shopping for supplies Dad, Nick, and Alina did a little shopping of their own- at the Home Show. We all met up at Cold Stone before heading home.

    -I was able to spend a fantastic weekend with two of my favorite people. Sophie, Isabelle and I tried to fit in as many fun things as we could the few days we had together- including a trip to the Como Zoo.

    The girls and I in front of the conservatory


    Isabelle and I at our picnic

    Soph is growing up so much. The two of us went on a bike ride and had a real adult conversation together. It was a blast and great to really see who she is becoming.

    The three of us doing a little exploring together.


    • For the past couple months I have been lucky enough to spend a couple days a week with Hannah and Mya- one day late in April we ended up having to bundle up to go out in the snow one day after having a picnic lunch at my house- outside with only sweatshirts on. That's Minnesota weather for you- the thing I can always count on being good though is my time with these two. (may sound cheesy but it's true).



      • A few weeks ago we headed up to Orr for the Country Music and Pie Social- yup that's right. My mom sang during the show and was great. We even learned a thing or two to take with us.
      This sweet (hilarious) lady came on with her "How to Catch A Man Kit" and really gave Amy and I some good tips- though it may be a little late for me I sure hope Amy puts these tools to good use. Oh yeah- the pie was good too.

      • Another trip to Iowa was in store. It was a perfect time with the Stepec family and other friends in Marshalltown. Amy and I were able to get away Friday for shopping and eating out. Of course I got in a few games of basketball with Jack- I mean who can resist him, especially when each morning he would come into my room and say "oh- you look beautiful".
        -Who says that watching TV is a waste of time. Wednesday we managed to get dinner for free on Oprah and KFC. Grandma even treated at DQ on the way home- rough night.

        - Holly and Jackson came for the afternoon Thursday. I honestly cannot believe how big he has gotten. He really is fun. Holly, mom, and I managed to sneak in a couple rounds of speed scrabble while Jackson napped. (I'm going to miss you so much Hol)

      • This weekend we also had a good old Neighborhood party on Saturday. We roasted our own polish, brats, and mini-hot dogs over the fire. However since we had roasted all the big marshmallows the night before we had to use the mini-size - they are bite-size with a little less mess involved.


      • One more Camp Christie- Nicholas, Annabelle and Alina came for this past weekend for a FULL weekend of activities-

        What's camp without a campfire and marshmallows

        We always knew those old tap costumes would come in handy.


      • One more hike and picnic at Vermilion Falls- though this time we went in the Spring (May 9Th) we still managed to run into a few snow flurries.

      Amers, me, our niece Alina (center) and Annabelle and Nicholas (kids I nannied for during college starting when they were just 4 months old- now 7 yrs)

      Last time we were here the water was mostly frozen over


      Now the water is really rushing by- head for dry land.
      Cold weather didn't stop our stomachs from growling so we carried on with our picnic.
      No need for snowshoes this time.

    • I may have said a few- and really out of all that has happened it was just a few- but if you made it to the end of this post- thank you.

    I'll try to post soon about leaving for Sierra Leone- I leave a week from tomorrow. It came fast.



2 comments:

Holly said...

We're going to miss you too. Love you!

Jacob said...

What about coffee with the best person from the class of 2000?