Wednesday, September 19, 2007

New Roommates, New House

This week has been crazy, but we are accomplishing a lot. First I will tell you about this weekend. Thank you, Thank you for your prayers. I know that they made all the difference for us. The whole family was home by late Saturday and on Sunday we had a family meeting of sorts. Grandpa was able to tell everyone how he feels about all that is happening as well as what he and grandma have been planning for her after he goes home to be with Jesus. He has no fear and is very ready to leave this earth, the one thing that he needs to be fully at peace is to know that grandma is taken care of. So this weekend we will be moving down to my parents new house (they will be staying in the old house for awhile longer), where grandma, grandpa and I will be roommates. Shortly we will begin building a new house for grandma on the edge of my parents property. Though we absolutley love the lake and all the great times we have here, it is too much for grandma to take care of as well as very difficult for her to get in and out of during the winter. I know it means a lot to gramps to know that she is okay and in a place where she can be on her own and feel confident that she can do whatever she needs to.

Grandpa was also able to walk us through these next few weeks a bit. It was emotional but just what we needed. It hit me the most when he talked about how when he accepted the Lord as his Savior back in 1946 he thought that he would have to hang on to the Lord with all that he was, but really since then God has had him in the palm of his hands. Just like a life boat carrying him safely through the rough waters of this life. Yes he has squirmed around in that boat from time to time, but he has always been held safely in his Father's loving arms and there is no reason that God will not continue to do the same until his last day here. He reminded us that God has planned each and every day of his life. He knows the exact number of them and that includes these difficult ones ahead. There is a reason he is here, God has a purpose even in the short time he has left. Gramps wants to live these days for Christ as well, his trust is still and will always remain in him. I needed to hear too that God will not give grandpa more than he can handle. Though it will look like he is suffering and we do not want to see him go through that- God is right there with him and will not let him suffer more than He has given him the strength to deal with. I know it took all the energy grandpa had to talk with us all, but it is a time that none of us will forget. At the end Gramps wanted us to sing "Because He Lives" together- with over 20 of us in the room there was at least one person singing at all times, but it did take all of us, because we each took our turns singing and crying. God has blessed our family so much, especially in letting us all be together often and allowing us to walk through this with each other.

I have to say I found myself a bit more emotional Sunday than I have been yet. I just couldn't seem to pull it together and the smallest thing would bring the tears again. (Grandpa says that we have the same genetic defect- our bladders are connected a little too close to our eyes) I needed to head down to the dock for a little time to myself and as I sat there I knew that though it is going to be one of the most difficult things I have to do to say good-bye to gramps, it has also been very hard for me to think about letting go of this place (my grandparents house) I have come to love so much. I have held onto it a bit too tightly and I know it was God nudging me as I sat there, reminding me that he has given us this beautiful place to enjoy for a time, but it is about so much more than that. We have learned so much about life and especially love here and that will never change. I know it is okay to hurt and okay to cry (though I don't like to at all), but in the midst of it all I am so grateful that I find myself with such a sense of thankfulness. I know that can come from only one place and I feel his presence so strongly.

Thank you again for your prayers, they TRULY are what carry us through.

One last thing- Grandpa asked me if when Amy comes home, we can have a sleepover in the living room together(of the new house). I cannot tell you how much I look forward to it. I'll post pictures of our slumber party when it happens.

1 comment:

Laura B. said...

Wow, Christie. Your grandpa seems like such an incredible person. Thank you for sharing your life with people---