Thursday, September 27, 2007

Honor of a Lifetime

After having been with my grandparents for the last I don't know how many days in a row, I headed down to the cities yesterday to spend a couple days with my sweet cousins Sophie and Isabelle. Though I am happy to be here with the girls, I can't believe I missed such a big day up North. That is alright, it all happened the way it was supposed to but you can bet I am going to run home and give my Gramps a huge hug as soon as I can.

Since I wasn't there and my mom was, I am just going to post what she wrote about it.

This will be a quick e-mail - but today was one of the BEST days of Dad's whole life.

Last night, September 26, 2007, the Bois Forte Band of Chippewa voted to make Wally Olson an honorary member of the Tribe!! Several of Dad's friends came to their home today to present him with a plaque commemorating this occasion. First, Dave Morrison gave Dad a card telling him how much he means to his family and the Nett Lake Church and the whole village, and how he had come up with the idea that he presented to the Tribal Council. He then gave dad a beautiful Nativity ornament that he had chosen for dad. Then he had his wife, Theresa, read the plaque, signed by Kevin Leecy, Bois Forte Chairman and Dave Morrison Boise Forte Secretary/Treasurer and he presented it to dad. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. Hank (Whiz) Goodsky gave dad tobacco and two feathers and then prayed a Native Prayer and interpreted it for those of us who would not understand. He told how dad had always coincided with the Natives and that together they brought comfort to grieving people by sharing tears and laughter - kinda like the Lone Ranger and Tonto. He really knew how to bring humor into the situation. Gene Goodsky then talked of how dad showed how the Native beliefs and Jesus are side by side, and that we really walk hand in hand. Stan Day said that Dad has always been here for the Native People and that he counts dad as one of his closest friends.

Dad was sooooo blessed by today!! I can't begin to describe the joy of this day. Dad looked at his stomach and asked me "which side of me is native?" My answer of course is "the inside - it has been for years!!".

I've attached a coupla pictures of today so you can see the blessing of this great day!!

Please join us in celebrating this great day! And please thank God for these Native friends who count dad as one of their brothers.
We serve an awesome God!!
Love,
Karen

Congratulations Gramps!!! I have happy tears for you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome. Throughout this past year I (Wendy) have spent alot of time working out on the reservation and heard nothing but nice things about Wally. Keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Randy, Wendy and Eagen Long

Erin said...

What a tremendous honor for a very deserving man!

I hope you're having a great time in the cities, Christie! Wish our paths were crossing this weekend - - soon!!!

Anonymous said...

MY NAME IS CURT JOHNSON FROM TRAVELERS REST, S.C EGHNER & EDITH EDBLOOM WERE MY UNCLE & ANUT.MY DAD WAS ADOLPH JOHNON AND MOTHER WAS VIOLA..BROTHERS DICK AND RUSSEL AND SISTER KATHLEEN KARKLIN OF COOK..FROM ALL OF MY KIN FOLKS I HAVE HEARD ABOUT MR & MRS WALLY OLSONFIR MANY YEARS.I AM PRAYING FOR WALLY AND HIS FAMILY.GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME

Anonymous said...

Happy tears from me too. Always in my prayers. Diana Lindgren Lundquist